Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
That's a lovely spoon, Hoodoo!

Hoodoo said:
Those are pretty cool Kath. Interesting sculpture!
Actually it's not sculpture so much as the bits where it went wrong! :oops: :lol:

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Spoon?.........
Not quite the done-thing here I know, but I use a ..........
ti-spork.jpg

by Snowpeak
Please don't banish me..............

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
steven andrews said:
Spoon?.........
Not quite the done-thing here I know, but I use a ..........
ti-spork.jpg

by Snowpeak
Please don't banish me..............
Wow! What'd you carve that with??? :lol:

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
carvings%20%202.JPG

The spoons are made of oak, the canoe and wee snake are made from corner shop kindling.
Please excuse the blurry photo my Digi Cam does like close-ups. :-D :-D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had a request from a Chinese friend to make a spoon that wouldn't fall into the noodle bowl. Didn't quite work out right, it works okay as a spoon, but could do with being more stable and the hook needs to be further down. :roll:
:banghead: Boxwood is hard work!!!

soupspoon.jpg

I have another box wood spoon along more traditional lines, just no picture.

Jason, that spoon at the bottom is great, what does the other side look like?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Chris that is really beautiful work, specially in boxwood, stunning!

The grain in that bottom one still blows me away, the other side is cool too but not as cool, I'll take a pic of the otherside in the daylight.

Jason

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
CHRIS!!!!! :evil:

After seeing your beautiful hand made knives and bows at the NEC and now you show your skill with spoons, your making me insainly jealous!!!!!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Heres the other side of the spoon, as we all know Yew is poisonous and not good for spoons or spreaders, these trinkets of mine are NOT for food use.

yew4.jpg

Jason

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:shock: :yikes: :biggthump :ekt:
Speechless!!

Jason, those are seriously cool! Is that a blade you made youself? It looks Woodlore-ish, but more curvy. A word of warning, keep your location secret!!! You'll have people knocking on your door asking to be shown how you do work like that otherwise :-D

I think I am going to have to go looking for the yew I have buried in the garage! :lol:

Chris

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Chris

The blade is my first successful forging from 1/2" silver steel rod, my 2 previous attempts cracked in a water quench, I learned my lesson and oil quenched this one, I based it on the woodlore but slightly reduced the size (assuming the pic in Ray Mears book is 1:1?). My grinding doesnt look too hot close up, certainly not up to your standards but its a start :)

A word of warning, I havent used Yew extensively but I believe it is quite liable to shrinking and cracking, maybe it could be stabilised, these are just oiled so time will tell how they stand up. It is a great characterful wood though, and its mystic history adds to the fascination for me!

Cheers :d

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Ed

Theyre finished with a concoction comprising mostly of linseed oil, they look a bit glossy because I'd just given them an oiling.

Best

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE