Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
OK showing my ignorance here, but I can't help but notice a lot of "Spoon" talk on the forum. Would someone care to enlighten me :shock: Do you make them as some sort of dark initiation into bushcraft, or is the pecking order decided on by the quality and functionality of your spoon?.

Show me your spoons so I may be enlightened !! (or at least tell me what the hell's going on with em') :-D

Yours (spoonless)

Mad Dave

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Spoons are fun, eh?

Here's one I'm working on with my new whittlin' demon, the Carvin' Jack. Almost makes it too easy. :-D

carvinjack1b.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's one of those things that pass the time, give you something to eat with, helps hone your carving/knife/Axe skills etc I rarely carve spoons, I often carve flat bits of wood to shove stuff in my mouth :-D But now and then I see a bit of wood that shouts "I'm a spoon, let me out” and who am I to argue? If you're into it at all it can be very satisfying, especially when you realise you have created something very functional and beautiful at the same time. If you're not into it, no worries, although I would say that knowing how to make one could be useful
:soapbox: I will get off now!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The reason why spoon carving is so popular is because it uses nearly every knife cut to make one, its very good practice if you want to master your knife ;-)

Ed

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Carvin' Jack is outstanding. The only "bad" thing is that there is a little wobble in the blade lock up but you really don't notice it while carving. The tools themselves are of the highest quality and devour wood. And because of the right angle mounting, they are extremely handy when carving spoons and whittling doodads. You can get very precise control. I've been whittling for 40 years and I've never had as much fun as I've had with this little tool. It won't do everything but what it won't do is probably beyond my skill level anyway.

Treebeard

Jan 3, 2004
Kent UK
Jeepers! I've just had a closer look at the website and it costs $130!
I think a crook knife from Axminster Tools is a lot cheaper.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, but if you had to purchase those carving tools individually, they would cost more. Plus you get the hone and the convenience of everything being right there.

I bought mine here:

www.mhc-online.com

This is a super duper company, i.e., nice people. There's been one heck of a waiting list for these. Don't know if there still is. Probably easier to get than a woodlore. :eek:): And a LOT cheaper. :eek:):

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah I like the look of it too.
The hone is a good idea.
I'm glad my Dad has just made me a pair of crook knives or I would end up spending money on one and I really can't afford it at the moment!
:)

Treebeard

Jan 3, 2004
Kent UK
I rang the UK distributor named on the Flexcut website today. They haven't got any at the moment and the next delivery will be in the Spring. So if we want one we need to order from the States.

Hoodoo put up a link to a website where the Carvin' Jack is a lot cheaper. I'm very tempted!

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I got a crook knife from Axminster for Xmas. Only about a tenner and quite good, needs a sharpen now though as it was a bit rough round the edges when it came, and I neatly carved a bowl into the edge of my finger when it slipped.

As for spoons, I'd been using a really bad effort I'd done as a tea and yoghurt spoon at work. One of the "girls" spotted and it and liked it's rustic charm and requested one for herself, her friend saw it and wanted one too......and so it continues.... It's given me plenty of practice at carving, and the recipient will always think of you when they use it...ahhh, ain't that nice.

I even cut out a nice little diamond pattern and inlay the end with birch bark now as my trade mark. If only I wasn't married it would be an excellent way to meet ladies.."....get your coat love, I made you a spoon!!"
:lol:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Very true - why do you think Welsh love spoon came about.

In finland the tradition was to carve a spoon to prove to the fair maidens parents you were actually good for something!

Spoons and ladies go way back.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
yep works here in wales!! and in finland too

I shows your prospective female that you are an able man who can craft the nessary objects of life with his knife, its a demonstration of your ability to provide

as Gary will attest the first spoon i ever made I carved the end of the handle into the shape of a heart and gave it to my wife

My wife is Mauritian and by tradition when we married she has to give me mats and baskets woven from grass and curtains which she hand made etc to decorate the home and show her skill at weaving and sewing

you will find traditions like this all over the world

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
My first spoons - the one at the top is my first the lower one my second. Both carved with my Bison Bushcraft (with a Frost hook knife for the bowls). Made from a couple of bits of kindling wood - don't know what the woods is, just the general firelighting stuff you buy in the petrol station.

(I showed practically everyone at the nec these already so apologies ... :p)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE