Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeSmo

Jul 20, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Hey yall these are my first spoons. One is really bad and unfinished, with two holes in the bowl but the other is ok. I haven't finished the second one with oil yet, only sandpaper and buffering with a cloth. Does anyone know any alternatives to linseed oil? I can't find sunflower oil here in Melbourne, but I do have vegtable oil. Will that work?

http://i4.tinypic.com/2607mhi.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/2608o07.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. I had my camera on low resolution. The picture didn't capture the great grain of the wood but hey. Comments Welcome

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Hi JoeSmo,

I think any vegetable oil will be ok, I have used olive oil, sunflour oil and peanut oil in the past and havent really noticed any difference between them.
I like the handle style on the second spoon. Dont worry about the holes in the first spoon...Im sure it will come in handy for something. My first spoon is now a shovel for the bbq (yes it was that big :lmao: )and my second attemt turned into a paperknife :D . Im currently working on my fifth spoon and they are getting better with every one I make.

Andy

S

scooby

hey joe,

i agree with bis, ive used many types of vegetable oil in the past and have all been good for me, one thing, if you use a lot of oil or a number of coats of an oil with a distinctive flavour, (eg groundnut oil, spiced olive oil,) if you use the spoons in hot drinks, you may find that the taste of the oil seems to run off the spoon and into ya brew!, its happened to me a few times!

keep on carving lad, you'll be onto celtic love spoons in no time!

cheers,

Rik

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I used the fat dripping of a burger on the barbecue for my first spoon, not shore if I'd wont to use it for eating with though. Technically you can use any sort of oil or fat but as said above some are more suitable than others.

S

scooby

i strainer maybe indeed! or even just keep it as a reminder not to go too deep with the old spoon knife each time!, i guess thats what you used??

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Can you acquire some Mineral oil? It will not turn rancid as some other oils are prone to do.

I like to heat the wood and the oil for a bit to make the oil penetrate deeper.

choon

Jul 13, 2006
Scotland
I agree with Weaver, even olive oil will go rancid after a while. I use either Tung oil or Walnut oil. Both of these will harden over time and neither will go rancid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE