Spoons and tools(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Like many carvers i tend to look for the best tools and always seek for that one that will do exactly what my hand wants it to do.
You can see an older thread ive done that is quite similar to this one-
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75145&highlight=

A small disclaimer- I am not affiliated with any of the makers listed below,i am however a big fan of each and every one of them.
This has been a long term type of test since i like to review my tools over a long period of time and not close to purchase.
I recently received my Del Stubbs Extra long sloyd and Left hand spoon knife, both are magnificent tools that fit in hand naturally and hold an amazing edge. A friend brought some pieces of Avocado tree for me to play with, Ive found over the years that the avocado tree is not the best looking wood but has amazing strength Vs. Weight qualities and find it is great for spoons that will be used.Ive become very familiar with Avocado,lemon and Blood orange timber for carving-so if any one has any questions please go ahead and ask.
There are also some made from american Chestnut from central park Manhattan

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

I sort of played a game with myself, i used only three tools for each spoon(from log to spoon) and quite enjoyed the process of switching off. Tools used: FGYT Bushy,mora 510 , Mora 120-106 , Dave Budd hook knife, Del stubbs Regular sloyd, x-long sloyd L+R spoon knives.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Sloyd family

IMG_0821.jpg

Enough tools and some spoons- not done yet.
IMG_0800.jpg

Cooking spoons-spatulas.

IMG_0805.jpg

The red Tanning here was not planned but i was not surprised to see it because that is how the Pith of the Avocado looks when it dies- its beautiful and allot of a redder and deeper color then seen here.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

A small spatula i travel with, you can see that it has some purple to it-not wood just some cooking ive done with Beats.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Left hand eating spoon with groove for thumb.

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Spatulas for cooking in the kitchen
IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

The spoon with red tanning in the bowl is Beautiful and was not planned- it is allot more red then in the pics and hopefully will show better when i finish it.Stay tuned for more.

Some thoughts of the tools-I am no pro so anything i say is just personal feeling and experience.
IMG_0777.jpg

I used my FGYT bushy to rough shape all the spoons and bring them to the right shape to start using a nice carver, although i could have continued with it and would have been quite happy,i then moved to a sloyd or one of the moras for the fine shaping and finally to a spoon knife. The Sloyds by Del are handled quite nicely, a little bit on the narrow side for the which can cause a feel of insecurity, but after using them for a while that feeling fades away, The only true "technical" problem i have with them is that bevels are slightly hollow(not a big issue at all) which means when put on a stone they will get a micro bevel that will make them want to cut deeper into the wood and change slightly the angle one would use to cut into the wood, at first i was having a hard time to get them back to that fine edge but some practice made me a pro and i have the bevels nice and straight with a good edge for carving. The X-long sloyd is sort of a dream come true for me,the blade is in perfect size(imho) its just a bit longer then the mora 106 and can be carried in a bushcraft kit(not only for home carving or base camp scenario)because it can be used for more then carving and will be a great tool in the bush. I love the cherry wood too.I found the handle too long so i intend on shortening it.

Ive spoken of the small sloyd in previous posts and it is too an amazing tool. The spoon knives were also amazing to use and quite comfy- i find that the finish on the handle is abit overdue but it does not bother me(i know that there are others here that have said in the past that it makes the tool a little uncomfortable in hand).

The Mora's are fantastic, i find the 106 much more versatile and fun to use then the smaller 120 and can also be carried for more then carving.

Dave Buds spoon knife is my favorite and seems to be the one that my hand wants to hold and use the most.(just ordered another- he has come out with an improved shape so im waiting to see how that comes out).

Again i can only speak highly of all the makers listed above. and have no critic at all.

Please stay tuned for more the finished spoons, comments and questions are more then welcome.

Mikey

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Avocado is amazing, there is some kind of inner resin- here it is more referred to as an oil more then a resin. The oil clots over time in the wood which brings out some very nice colors but more importantly it will give more strength to the wood-making it very light but very strong. the disadvantage is that most of the time the color will stay a quite plain white which doesnt look very good(mostly when carved very green).

I try not to work with it very green but let it sit for a few weeks before carving away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE