Spoon making!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I use a Mora spoon knife, but tbh it's a bit limited, which is why I'm going to have a go at making my own. especially after advising a member on the forum to try. I was kindly gifted "The little book of whittling" by Chris Lubkemann from Mesquite of this parish, and have found it invaluable.
Hope this helps.

Atb
Colin.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Ben Orford makes real nice carving knives and a good price too, I could have showed you one when you were here .

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I own about 40 spoon carving hook knives and have tried pretty well everything on the market. There really is no substitute for getting somewhere where you can try them out yourself because peoples opinions vary, no one knife is loved by everyone. Most people who only own one or two will tell you it's the best and most knives can be made to work when you develop techniques to suit that knife. By chance this morning I wrote a blog post with my opinions on a range fo the currently available hook knives. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/which-is-best-spoon-carving-knife-hook.html

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've tried a few, the mora ones were the worst. My current one is a Ray Iles one and I would recommend it. It helps a lot if they're sharp when you buy em as sharpening them is a pain, and its good to see how they "should" perform so you can restore it to its former glory with the confidence it does work.

If its blunt when you buy it there's always the nagging doubt whether its your sharpening technique or the knife that's at fault.

However saying that once you've practiced, sharpening them is not that tricky.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Whats your technique Mountainm? I always struggle to sharpen mine properly.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Whats your technique Mountainm? I always struggle to sharpen mine properly.

Dowel wrapped with wet n dry, then stropped on micro mesh, then leather and starkie blue.

But have recently discovered foam backed Emery boards (courtesy of the mother in laws manicure routines) I think these may come in very useful...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I always struggle to sharpen mine properly.

Ben shows how do it easily and quickly in these two video's, very easy to follow and it achieves a super sharp edge.

[video=youtube;uDjGbx7jIt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDjGbx7jIt0[/video]

[video=youtube;RL4LNJxRkJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4LNJxRkJg[/video]

Sean Hellman shows in this video how to turn a Mora crook knife into a workable tool with a wicked edge, many people bemoan the Mora, but with ten minutes of work, it's a good working tool, it just takes a bit of effort.

[video=youtube;xcMMBRh_SzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMMBRh_SzA[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Dowel wrapped with wet n dry, then stropped on micro mesh, then leather and starkie blue.

But have recently discovered foam backed Emery boards (courtesy of the mother in laws manicure routines) I think these may come in very useful...

Thanks alot :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
+1 for Kepis.
The Mora spoonknife is capable of a great edge if you are prepared to spend some time honing and polishing it.
I still have mine but also have a pair made by Nic Westermann of this parish which are a joy to carve with and
much less maintenance to keep supersharp.
Might be an idea to buy blades and handle them yourself.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE