Spoon making again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Had a go at making a large kitchen spoon, was not sure what wood it was as it was already de barked, turns out it is eucalyptus, have to thank SHMBO for telling me, it was a right B to carve as the wood had seasoned some in a log pile from a neighbours garden, Hugo spied it by looking over a wall as he was aware of a tree being lopped a few months earlier.
SAK is for scale purposes only. One coat of tung oil, wipe on wipe off.
eucalyptusspoon002.jpg

eucalyptusspoon004-1.jpg

eucalyptusspoon005.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nice one mate, now go whittle that log it's sitting into 3 dozen cherry spoons:)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for the kind words fellas.
The spoon was going to be much bigger, BUT bad axe work by myself left a couple of, at first hidden fractures, when I realised how deep they were I removed quite a bit of the bowl sides, that is why there is a steep drop from the handle to the bowl.
Still turned out nice in the end.
I finished off another smaller one to be used at breakfast for the owners of the tree of spoons.

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
@ Kepis, with regards to the cherry log that is in the picture, it was supposed to be cut dead standing, I think not as it split as you can see at both ends, and I cover it to keep the sun off, the big round that I gave you came from this log, and I remember you telling me yours split from end to end, glad it only cost me two cups of tea.
Now the spalted beech is a different story, just put quite a few spoons and a spatula in the boot for the young chap who supplied that to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE