Spoon knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Simple answer yes

you can do both most people pull towards you and thats i feel is easier and more controlable when pushing away its better to use hte thumb ofthe opposite hand so ruling out double edged blades which also maked the knife handed exp carvers etc have left and right blades for pull and push cuts

if your starting out i would stick to a what ever handed you are pull blade
ie if right handed and holding the knife in that hand the cutting edge is towards you its a right handed knife ( as far as im conserned ) and you would need a left handed one to push cut with your right hand holding and pushin left thumb

ATB

Duncan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I tend to pull the knife, but then there are two ways to do that! I know some people who twist the whole hand at the wrist to provide the movement in the blade. I prefer to use the muscles in my hand and squeeze my hand closed, pulling the knife through the wood as it goes.

As Duncan says, get one that you pull to start with and see what happens when you attack the wood, it will be instinct I think ;) If you then decide that it feels all too unnatural try one that requires yo to push instead and see if that helps.

best thing to do is to try a few different knives and see what you like :0 Mine are very different to Duncan's, but they both work if you know how to use them ;)

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I have a double sided crooked knife and tend to push cut most of the time. It feels more natural and I find I can work much faster when roughing out. You can get around not being able to use your thumb on the back of the blade by pushing on the handle. I have started doing this when carving with straight knives too as I can go a lot longer before my thumb gets sore.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Both.
Though mostly I tend to pull towards me since you have more control over it. But both ways of cutting do get used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE