Spoon Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Josey Wales

This is something which I have wondered about for a long time...

How does one carry a spoon knife (in a rucksack/packsack for example) without cutting one's self? :eek: > I had allways thought that some sort of sheath could be fashioned but I have never been able to work out how to execute this... Perhaps a pouch - with dry rice in it - with a tall neck?

Cheers,
:cool:

P.S. If you have any suggestions please note that I have the Eric Frost version.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Personally, i've always just carried it in my possibles bag as it is. I've never cut myself when reaching in to get it. I have however considered making a soft leather sheath that would slide onto the blade.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I don't have one myself, but I've seen that Paganwolf uses a vitamin c tube to slide over the blade end. It seems to snugly fit the handle as well. A very handy use for the tube after you've finished with it.

Martin

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I use a salmon hide pouch to keep mine in but before I made that I'd just wrap a bit of cloth around the blade.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
...empty shotgun cartridge works really well also.

I recently bought a crook knife from Ben Orford. This excellent bit of kit arrived perfectly safely with the blade wrapped in 6" of 1/4" wide leather.

Chris

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Take a small block of wood about an inch and a half wide and a half inch longer than the blade, split the block in half, lay your knife and draw a pencil line around the blade, you should end up with what looks like a question mark, gouge the shape out on both sides of the block until the two halfs of the block mate up again when housing the blade, then drill a small hole in the corner of the block and lace with a leather thong, wrap once around block and tie off,safe and neat way to carry a spoon knife. You can thin down the block and round off all the edges to make it look neat and you can if you like drill opposite corners and use wooden pegs to hold the two sides together.Should take about half an hour to make, other than that depending on the size of the hook a 12 bore cartridge works fine as a cover.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Josey Wales said:
This is something which I have wondered about for a long time...

How does one carry a spoon knife (in a rucksack/packsack for example) without cutting one's self?
In a (25mm?)fisherman's float tube, along with a woodcarving knife. top to tail, they just fit.

Jim.

J

Josey Wales

Well thanks Guys! It's been a real eye-opener!

The only thing is that I'm a little bit embarrased about not thinking of some of these myself! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE