spoon knife

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
hi guys, i've been trying all day to make my own hook knife, and failed badly,
as i dont have the funds to buy a proper spoon carver. is there anybody out there that could help ? ie making me a hook knife i dont care how crude it is as long as it does the job. I just simply do not have the tools to do the job.one guy did say to me about bending a fixed blade then grinding the carving edge but i've tried today and the result was not good. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!many thanks trev

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I remember reading somwhere that old saws, Proper saws with decent blades that you can sharpen not the thin throw away saws from builders merchants these days. they are ideal for making things like hook knives. mind you the thin saws do make good cabinet scrapers. I recently picked up a few really old saws from a house clearance we did. I'd be happy to put one in the post but it might work out cheeper to pick one up from a car boot

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I made one out of a bit of skipped steel, you only need a file, some persistance and you can harden it on an assisted fire then temper in an oven :) I'm sure one of the groups made one at a meet once, can't mind who though, but it's do-able... I wonder if British Blades would be a good place to begin the research?

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
thats what i want to do but do not have the heat source i've just moved bk to the uk and just simply do not have any tools what so ever .

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
does anybody out there have the time and some odds n sods to knock up a right handed spoon knife ,to help a fellow bushcrafter on his way till i can rustle up some coinage to buy a mora or something alike.it doesn't have to look pretty just want it to carve out the bowls any help would be dearly appreciated . regards trev

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Do you go to meets in your area? You'll meet likeminded folk who, when you show you're willing to work ,swap and generally get involved, may help you... Trouble is, there have been folk who have joined simply to blag as much free stuff as possible out of generous folk and when they were sussed, they simply rejoined with a different name, no one ever actually saw them. This might not be you but it could be a help to get out there and try it... There was a brilliant thread recently from a guy who did both a spoon and kuksa with only a penknife, maybe your wood is too old. That's another benefit to attending meets, you can find all round advice :)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
i'm certainly no blagger i'm a genuine guy who will be attending meets when and as i can. i've allready done as much as i can with a penknife and now want to advance onto bigger and better things which i need a spoon knife which may i add is being posted to me as i type. i'm going to be looking into bodging and making a multitude of things so watch this space

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE