Spoon in Sheoak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Three years ago, I was in Australia huddled up by a romantic woodfire with my missus and she handed me a lump of sheoak to burn. Seeing the gorgeous woodgrain, I pinched it and it has sat on my woodshelf in the workshop ever since. That is until I recently bought a Frosts Mora hook knife and decided to give it a go. This is the result:

SpoonSheoak1.JPG

The light doesn't really give the woodgrain justice.

SpoonSheoak2.JPG

The big bowl makes it balance nicely on the pot-hook.

SpoonSheoak3.JPG

Here it is shown against a professionally made spoon/ladle I found later in my kitchen drawer.

SpoonSheoak4.JPG

I much prefer the other spoon's neck; my spoon is too chunky and needs lightening up and scooping out more. I plan to follow the rim back and then carve out.

The other big problem I had was getting the inside of the bowl smooth. Does anyone know how to do that?

Other constructive criticisms and suggestions would also be gratefully received.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Pretty spoon (both the shape and the wood.

And yes I did open the post to look for the spook but I was glad I did :)

Chers,
Steve

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice spoon! I like the hooked handle, makes it look very elegant. I hope the spoons I eventually make are half as nice as that one.

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Very, very nice spoon!

I just carved my first one yesterday from a piece of stick my crazy dog toby fetched whilst at Loch Ken ob a canoeing trip. A mate rough carved it into a blank for me and I finished it yesterday afternoon whilst it was chucking it down outside. I was right chuffed wuth it 'til I saw yon masterpiece.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think this is a lovely spoon, the wood is gorgeous too. I would be interested to know where the professionally made one came from. I have quite a few Russian spoons that have a similar deep bowl but different handles. Spoons like this are excellent for soup where you slurp off the side of the spoon but not so good for porridge or meusli as your upper lip can't get into the bowl to clean it off. For those uses a shallower bowl is better.

Eqmiami

Dec 3, 2016
Saudi Arabia
Great looking spoon. Can you identify the scientific name of it? Just want to make sure it's the same one we have here in Saudi. I want to use all this sheoak but wanna make sure it's the same one used in other people's work.

Also, how hard/difficult was the wood to work with as I've heard it can be very very hard.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
What are there loads of old threads being brought back to life at the moment?

Nice spoon though. Its amazing how much better a slight change in detail can make something look. Worth the revisit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE