Spoon gouges

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am looking to have a go at spoon, bowl and trencher carving. I am ambiawkward[1], but tend to favour my right hand. Do people tend to use just a single crook knife of the correct "handedness" for their use, or do people tend to have a one of each for versatility?

What sort of thing should I be looking at?

Thanks

J

[1]Think ambidextrous, but equally poor with both hands

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I am a lefty but have always just worked with the mora 164, which is righthanded. It works for me. I would recommend getting a knife for the hand you favour, though. Or see if you can get a scorp perhaps?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I would get yourself a right handed spoon knife first and see how you get on with it and whether you find you think you could use a left handed one to complement it.

I've used a few types, including moras and ben orfords, currently using the small flexcuts which are very effective and good to use, and one of the ray isles large knives for deeper/broader cuts where needed. The flexcuts and RI are my favourites to date.

I also have an Ashley Isles spoon gouge that I use at the workbench on larger or tougher projects as it clears more wood more quickly without knackering my hands/wrists so much, but is used with a vice and supporting blocks so not as easy to use out in the garden or woods or wherever.

Cheers, Paul

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you are more right than left, that really answers your question, as to gouges they are not handed so it isnt really an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE