Spoon/crook knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Eveniing all!

I have several frosts spoon/crook knives amd whilst I have never given them any real pasty I have found them a struggle. I can concede that it might well be down to my technique but I have seen it mentioned a few times that the knife needs work to get the best out of it.
Can anyone shed some light on the best way to go pls!?:)

I have one pretty standard one, a double edge one and somewhere I have a third, much less crooked one (if that makes sense!?)

Thanks in advance.

Marc

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
i got one of these a few days ago
mora-162bk-spoon-bowl-carving-knife-50-p.jpg

it was quite dull when i got it but sharp enough so i only needed to strop it till it could take hairs off.
i just have a piece of veg tan leather glued to a piece of wood with some compound on it and followed the angle of the bevels.
I made my 1st spoon out of my xmas tree today and it worked great

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Frosts one are, how shall I say this, not the best iof breed. Acutally, they are slightly better than none. I think Robin Wood has one that he ground down into a decent one, but the stock ones are junk.

I think there are some threads on the subject here, and many, many more on the Bodger forum.

Edit; the book is Willie Sundquists book, but that is out of print AFAIK.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I find they aren't brilliant as delivered, but an hours work will make them very useable. A bit of wet and dry on a length of old broom stick works wonders.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE