Spoon carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I recently made it to the top of Nic Westermann's waiting list and bought a swan neck gouge and TWCA cam.

A friend cleared some woodland and brought me some birch he dropped that day.

Then I was in trouble.

Everyone is now having coffee scoops, the must be bouncing off the walls....20200519_170526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Lovely spoonage.
Your coffee scoops make mine look like shovels; I must try harder :)

Many many thanks both. It is my meditation during this current situation.

I am giving them to friends and have just given one to the local baker who had to close their cafe and now do deliveries. Made his day so well worth it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Birch is wonderful wood to carve.
I like the corner on the bowl of the long spoon. Useful along pot edges.

For wet preps like soups, rice, pastas and stews, stirring with a big 3-tined fork works well
because it does not splash at all.
Show us your forks!

Reactions: Dougster

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Beautiful spoons. As a matter of interest, how long was your wait before you topped Nic Westermann's list? I would love one of his twca cams...

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Lovely.
I'm jealous of your Twca cam from Nic. It's been on my shopping list for a while.
What did you use for the handle?

Just a bit of dry elm I had knocking about. I had to order 1/4 inch drill bits to fit the handle, but with shafting epoxy (as in golf shaft) it works well. I shaped it roughly and octagonally for grip.

Instagram is a great place for green wood workers, I am currently 'mentoring' three guys on there who are local but we are distancing. I can't wait to meet up with them in the woods and crack on.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Just a bit of dry elm I had knocking about. I had to order 1/4 inch drill bits to fit the handle, but with shafting epoxy (as in golf shaft) it works well. I shaped it roughly and octagonally for grip.

Instagram is a great place for green wood workers, I am currently 'mentoring' three guys on there who are local but we are distancing. I can't wait to meet up with them in the woods and crack on.
Nice one, thanks <runs off to waiting list>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE