spoon carving with FGYT's spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would like to add weight to Robin's appreciation of FGYT's crook and spoon knives.

Here are two I made today. Both out of small branches (not need to use biggies if you can get around the pith of the smaller ones). One out of Hazel (the corn-twisted one) and one out of Sycamore. I've got to say I don't know why people don't carve more out of Sycamore - it carves like butter, its smooth and finely grained and a wonderful pale colour. Its also everywhere. Hazel is a bit more fibrous but still very worthwhile.

All made easy with a Husky Hatchet and a FGYT spoon knife :D

Hazel branch with spoon inside :D
IMGP5811.jpg

Split with hatchet
IMGP5813.jpg

Roughed out with hatchet
IMGP5814.jpg

Sycamore spoon
IMGP5852.jpg

Top one sycamore, bottom one hazel
IMGP5856.jpg

Close up of bowls
IMGP5859.jpg

Both spoons with their 'other' halves of wood they were split from
IMGP5862.jpg

Back of the hazel spoon
IMGP5863.jpg

Copper rivet for decoration in the end of the handle (copper slate nail)
IMGP5865.jpg

Last edited:

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
I personally blame the tools. I'm fairly rubbish.....:eek:
Look good,did my own 1st attempt today took dog for a walk in the woods nearby this morning picked up a bit of oak i think ,and took it home and had a go at it this afternoon 2hrs later and several cuts it looked crap but i enjoyed it time flew by.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work! I like the Hazel one, it looks like a carrot with the rivet in the end:)
Hows the axe holding up?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've done some carving with mine on Friday, found it very good to use, I'll get some pics up in a few days when its finished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE