One Knife Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Following a comment made by OrtesPL earlier on my Simple Stirrer spoon thread, i was reminded about a challenge a Norwegian friend gave me a couple of years back, which was to make a spoon using one knife only.

So here goes..

My knife of choice is my HVK and the wood is fresh cut Hazel.

2 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

First job, split the Hazel into halves

3 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

4 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Truncate the area where the bowl is going to be

5 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

and carve that area away

6 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Carve out the handle on each side

7 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Then flatten the top of the bowl

8 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

You now have your rough blank which can be whittled as normal

1 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

9 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

To hollow out the bowl you can score the top surface of the bowl and lever out the wood fibres to make a shallow depression, unfortunately i cant find the photos of that process at the moment, if i do i'll upload them later.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Back in the mists of time, before bushcraft was a thing (I think a young chap called Raymond was on a show called Tracks), I used to make spoons at my field archery club. I'd pick up a stick at the beginning of the course and whittle away with the knife on my belt (for digging arrows from trees) and then by the time I got around the course and back to the tea hut we would have a new teaspoon in the pot :) It must've been another decade before I found hook knives to hollow the bowl out instead of the tip of my knife.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Back in the mists of time, before bushcraft was a thing (I think a young chap called Raymond was on a show called Tracks), I used to make spoons at my field archery club. I'd pick up a stick at the beginning of the course and whittle away with the knife on my belt (for digging arrows from trees) and then by the time I got around the course and back to the tea hut we would have a new teaspoon in the pot :) It must've been another decade before I found hook knives to hollow the bowl out instead of the tip of my knife.

We used to do similar, except ours used to end up as pointy sticks and not a lot else at the time :D

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
+1 for fresh, green wood. Really the very best texture to learn with.
Most woods, hardwoods for sure, turn from cheese to bone as they dry. Lime, very little.

Kepis: Working out from the center of the bowl,
could you deepen that with a progressively bigger and bigger spiral with your knife tip?
Great demo for starters. Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE