Spoon Carving Course March 2012

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just back from teaching a course I've been putting together for a while now. I wanted to teach beginners to use Axe, knife, and saw to make Spoons. The main focus was safe use of the tools and a spoon was a bonus so we went though various stages of techniques to remove wood by practising on other items during the morning, followed by a full spoon during the afternoon.

Full write up here

http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/spoon-carving-course-march-2012.html

100_3751.jpg

100_3757.jpg

Tired and happy, so time to relax for while.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys, The lino worked a treat, I have to keep the staff happy as I work with them in the week.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, safe use of tools and something to take home and cherish at the end, I'll bet they really enjoyed that and will find it handy in future!

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Just looking at your photo - are your chopping blocks 12'' or 18''? what do you think is best for using sitting down? (I know it depends on the size of the wood / chair / person etc) We've got a long log to cut up to make a few for general group use but can't agree on a size!!
Thanks

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just looking at your photo - are your chopping blocks 12'' or 18''? what do you think is best for using sitting down? (I know it depends on the size of the wood / chair / person etc) We've got a long log to cut up to make a few for general group use but can't agree on a size!!
Thanks

My blocks are around 10" dia and 12-14" high and work great with normal plastic seating as seen on the pictures. The slight difference in height works for the size difference of the folks.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Hi Richard 'Fluxus' (unusual name - what's that all about then - wasn't it an art movement?!) Haven't done any carving for AGES as been too busy writing those ***** FS assignments. We sent them of last week (the report one was horrendous - I'm sure I didn't have to do that much background reading when I did my PGCE!!) but still have overnight to do. I just happen to have a telegraph pole (hubby works for BT) that I thought would make nice chopping blocks but just couldn't decide what size. We've got FS work lined up already!
Good to hear from you.
Vicky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE