Spoon carving box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Just thought i would share with you guy's and gals my proto-type holder!
The final box will be made of Beach and will be a fair bit thinner and rounder.
It only took about half an hour, and i just wanted to see how it would work out before i spent a lot of time doing a final version!!!
If anyone else has made one, please show as there may well be a better or nicer way of doing it and then i can pinch your idea!:rolleyes:
Thanks for looking!
Input and criticism always welcome!, but please no sarcasm, i upset easily!!!!:p.

Attachments

• DSCF0625.jpg
    DSCF0625.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0628.jpg
    DSCF0628.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0629.jpg
    DSCF0629.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Oh I like that......me feels a small project coming on at work tomorrow...........well done that's, a great idea!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks pretty neat to me mate, i'll have a proper look at that on Thursday, well assuming your bringing it with you?

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Great holder for your knife. I like such a solid wood holder that is easy to use.
I use to make boxes with a dowel and swivel lid. It does not look like the lid can be fixed closed. It may be tight now but after spending time in the damp and then dry(if we have a good summer) the lid may become very stiff as the wood swells and looser when dry. Tight is not much of an issue but loose and the lid may swing open and the knife fall out. I personally would like the lid to be fixed closed.
I make similar holders for my tools and use a hinge or leather hinge and 3mm knotted bungee cord to hold it closed. The only photo I can find is second one down on my blog

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks good to me mate.
If we ever have steak at our meet up bring it with you, we can use it as a tenderiser. ha ha.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Hi Sean, I think dowel will work better, Good idea!
Next box will have a downwards chamfered pivot side lid and an upwards chamfered pivot side bottom so it will help with it closing flush!, but i know what you mean about the weather effecting it.
Maybe some nice small butterfly hinges instead, and a small brass latch!
Got me thinking now! Thanks for the imput mate!

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Thanks for the constructive criticism Hugo!, Just got to spike the bottom and voila!, one dual purpose box!:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I call it banter, and I know we all like it. I think you have done well grasshopper.
I made some flimsy leather ones for my collection of Ben Orford's spoon knifes and lost two of them already.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Have you tried whistling to see if they come back!, They would have belonged to a cow at some point!:lmao:
I wish i had a Ben Orford!, Maybe when i grow up!:vio:
Did you see the PM i sent you?
See you tomorrow!
RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE