Splitting axe / maul recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looking to get a splitting axe / maul to split logs for my wood burning stove.

I know you get what you pay for but I don't need the Ferrari of splitting axe world.

Any recommendations of brands to look for or to stay away from?

Also what to look for in maul/axe.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Very keen on my GB splitting axe (the longer handled option). Its probably a bit unnecessary though - i would imagine that for a splitting axe you probably wouldn't see much difference in performance between the GB offering and a much cheaper variety.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a Lidl splitting axe (wooden handle) and that is fine for my domestic needs ... but it did struggle with 1' - 18" thick seasoned rounds of Oak ...

Oct 16, 2014
Uk
I have just bought a Fiskars x27 and can highly recommend it - very light and the blade doesn't get stuck in the timber due to its shape

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This is what I meant. Strange the link was inactive?

Forge Steel Forge Steel Fibreglass Handle Maul 8lb Enlarge Image

ae235.jpg

Forge Steel Fibreglass Handle Maul 8lb

Product Code: 6164C
View reviews (3)
3.3 out of 5

8lb (3.62kg). High carbon steel head. Solid handle with shock reduction grip.

Drop-Forged & Hardened Head
Solid Core
Fibreglass Handle
Precision Ground Edge
View more information

Specifications:
Handle length: 785mm. DIN 5129.

£19.99
INC.
VAT

Was £24.99

Save £5.00 (20%)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Best I've ever used has been one of these. Stihl sells them that look just the same as the Silverline ones and I'm guessing they are all made in the same factory anyway.

Think mines a Stihl branded (its kind of orange) but as I got it secondhand and the writing is worn off I'll never know for sure.
Bloke I was working with had his office broken into and that was left at the scene of the crime, think I paid a fiver for it.

I've used several others (no Gransfors yet though) and its been the best out of all the ones I've used.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I have a plastic handled splitting axe. It was a present from colleagues when I left a county council countryside management team. When using it I've found that the handle flexes somewhat, taking some of the force out of any swing. Personally, I would prefer something with a stiffer handle i.e wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE