Spirit stove VS Hexi stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
I am looking for a cheap, lightweight and no mess solution to take along on day hikes that would allow me to brew up several cups of tea for two people.

Hexi stoves and maths burners both seem to fit the bill. What does the hive mind recommend?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have an esbit stove and a home-made pepsi spirit burner that fits the stand. That way I know I can buy meths if I run out of esbit blocks. Ozzy1977's solution though is cleaner, simpler and cheaper, if a bit heavier and bulkier.
My wife made me buy a gas burner for when we are out together as she got tired of waiting for a brew!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
spirit stove for me every time over hexi. Huge variety to choose from, or make your own - if I can do it anyone can!

And as for value for money, a SAT, or the Clas Ohlsen Trangia copies, give you a burner, holder and pans for little over a tenner. Both will boil water much quicker than a hexi stove, and both give you the opportunity to do some decent cooking as well.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Tried everything for my brew kit in EDC bag.
Solid fuel is simply too messy, stinks/stains when stored. Not to mention the black goo on your pans (not soot) that is impossible to remove from your hands and everything around. Only good for emergency use.
Alcohol is a tad more complicated but still maintenance free. Elegant, fool proof and you can carry as much fuel as you need. Slow.

For normal camping nothing beats gas stove. Quick and simple. First option for lazy people :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Trangia meths burner inside a Trangia triangle will do pans and kettles and provides a windshield, if not a jetboil gas stove.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
If you choose to use a meths stove for a quick brew you could do alot worse than a flat cat stove. As regards hexi, i don't think the residue underneath the pan is the main reason not to use it. After all it only takes a couple of wipes with a cloth, or hand full of grass to remove it. It does have some advantages, no chance of spilling it and you just know it's going to work. My main problem with it is that it does taint the food/coffee/tea.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
No contest for me I use hexi 90% on the time. Just a quick wipe on the grass or with the tea bag and my mug is clean. I also like the flame to harm me up

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a day walk? For all practical reasons take a thermos flask :)

I don't because I like the act of making a brew. As soon as I realise its about enjoyment rather than practical logic, then the stove selection becomes "what will I enjoy using"? Whole different set of criteria in that debate. I have used gas, alcohol, solid fuel, wood and pressurised liquid stoves. In a general sense I have had more failures with pressurised liquid stoves than any of the others so I shy away from them for a basic "brew up" - all the others work and work fine. Take the one you like the most.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Well...I too like to indulge in the making of a cuppa out of doors. Also, my thermos flask still only provides lukewarm tea by the time I want to drink it, so is less than ideal.
I actually quite like that cheap gas stove in principle. The only drawback seems to be that I would have to use the gas up all in one go if I want to fold it down after I'm done. So it seems a bit wasteful and bulky.

I'm also not usually in a great hurry for a cuppa. Speed is not as important as ease of transport and how fiddly it might be.

Hexi cookers seem the most straightforward. But do they really taint whatever it is you're cooking? In which case I'd feel more inclined to try a spirit burner...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You don't have to use up the gas in one go - the canisters "self seal" and can be removed and replaced as often as you like :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For a day walk? For all practical reasons take a thermos flask :)

I don't because I like the act of making a brew. As soon as I realise its about enjoyment rather than practical logic, then the stove selection becomes "what will I enjoy using"? Whole different set of criteria in that debate. I have used gas, alcohol, solid fuel, wood and pressurised liquid stoves. In a general sense I have had more failures with pressurised liquid stoves than any of the others so I shy away from them for a basic "brew up" - all the others work and work fine. Take the one you like the most.

What he said. Except the only pressurized liquid stove I've had problems with is the large two burner Coleman Dual Fuel. All others have worked fine for me; a bit bulky and heavy though for a hike.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I do like teh Hexi for light and easy no mess/liquid brew breaks, I normaly carry the old MOD folding one...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE