Spirit stove VS Hexi stove

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Damn, that Asaklitt Spirit Stove seems a steal! I think it might be a bit bulky for a day trip though. I like the option of being able to cook though.

What about those Swedish army Trangia cook sets? Are they any good and are there still any around? How small do they pack down?

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
the SAT is bulkier than the asaklitt.

Im a bit of a sad meths stove addict:

- Clas Ohlsson stove (the asaklitt)
- trangia duossal
- Swiss MetaKocher (this is brilliant for cooking, but quite bulky for 1 man)
- a variety of home builds.

Truth be told the clas ohlsson one is pretty damn light and reliable, if you want to have the option to cook as well as just boil water. I like it since its pretty robust too.... some might say 'idiot proof'.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I know Rik doesn't like the Swiss Army Trangia, but I think its a lovely bit of kit! Bullet-proof, the lid can double as a cup, the two pans can be used as an oven, the main pan hooked over a log fire, and if you run out of meths/spirit you can use the windshield as a wood-burner. Penalty is weight, as you pay for the sturdiness there.

And I'll also second the Swiss Meta 50 cooker. Its probably the fastest meths cooker I've got if you're boiling more than 500ml and want to cook proper food rather than just boil water. I think that's down to the shape of the pans, and it also allows you to cook food (eg stew) on the bottom pan whilst also using the top pan at th same time (eg for rice or just to heat up some water). Lid makes a decent frying pan too, and the whole set is much sturdier than the Clas Ohlsen/Askalitt set.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Damn, that Asaklitt Spirit Stove seems a steal! I think it might be a bit bulky for a day trip though. I like the option of being able to cook though.

What about those Swedish army Trangia cook sets? Are they any good and are there still any around? How small do they pack down?

I don't like the Swedish army alcohol cook sets (THEY ARE NOT TRANGIA apart from some burners made by Trangia) but the pots can be used on a fire. That said you can use a real Trangia or the Asaklitt pans on a fire too.

The Asaklitt set like the Trangia 27 is easily compact enough for a trip so don't worry there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE