Spider's Webs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Any one else fed up with getting face fulls of spiders web in the woods at this time of year?

Every couple of minutes I walk into yet another web and get covered in sticky web,dead flies and angry spiders.

Why don't they build the damn things higher up? :?:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
When the spider webs get bad like that I often carry a small stick and with a flick of the wrist I wave it up and down in front of me as I walk. Works pretty good. :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
As somone interested in trapping I always find my self looking at spiders webs with awe, they really are incredable!!!! the most effective trap on earth

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I just look up to see where i'm going.... :wink: :biggthump
You're right Stuart, they're amazing things. It's better to watch your step and avoid destroying the web. It's the spiders food-source.... :biggthump :)

Cheers :uu:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
TheViking said:
Hi...

I just look up to see where i'm going.... :wink: :biggthump
You're right Stuart, they're amazing things. It's better to watch your step and avoid destroying the web. It's the spiders food-source.... :biggthump :)

Cheers :uu:
I try very hard to avoid messing up the webs but they are very difficult to see in some lighting conditions.
On cold mornings the condensation on the fibres shows them up really well. :) but at the moment-- :?:
I always try to find the spider on my clothes and leave it in the same place,I even apologise :shock: (only the dogs around to hear,so I won't get locked up) :lol:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Stuart said:
As somone interested in trapping I always find my self looking at spiders webs with awe, they really are incredable!!!! the most effective trap on earth

Do you know if the British spiders that make the webs shaped like funnels are related to the Australian Funnel Web Spider? Or do they just share a taste in web design? :p

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
With the general increase in temperatures,and the importation of foreign species,accidental or deliberate, I wouldn't tempt fate BR!
Its probably a Funnelweb :yikes: :yikes:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
BorderReiver said:
Do you know if the British spiders that make the webs shaped like funnels are related to the Australian Funnel Web Spider? Or do they just share a taste in web design? :p

the spider Atypus Affinis s the only british representitive of the of the Mygalomoroph group of spiders which produces tubed webs

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
They are annoying are they not? Especially when the beastie in them is gert and hairy!

I seem to remember seeing a program a while back, where some natives actually wove spider webbs on a forked stick and used them to catch tiny fish.

Did anyone else see the program? I cannot remember who it was ( I've a feeling that it may have been the big man himself)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Les Marshall said:
They are annoying are they not? Especially when the beastie in them is gert and hairy!
Nope,
Not at all annoying. Anything that eats wasps (like the big black hairy one that lives down the back of the sink here and has defeated all attempts to catch it for at least a year does) is OK by me.
Anyone know how long big hairy spiders live? is it the same one that's been popping out every now and then for at least a year, possibly two, or are we onto great great great grandchildren?
Cheers
David

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
One thing that bothers me is how much 'damage' am I causing to the spider by destroying a decent orb web. How much do they have to catch before they've replaced the energy used to make the web?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
JFW said:
Wasn't it Shrek who made a popsicle from spiders webs and flies? :rolmao:

JFW
:yikes: :spider:

I suppose it's one way to make a protein lolly!

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Realgar said:
One thing that bothers me is how much 'damage' am I causing to the spider by destroying a decent orb web. How much do they have to catch before they've replaced the energy used to make the web?

Many spiders actually eat their defunct web/silk (not, of course, if you've walked off with it stuck to the front of your Swanni), so the nutrients are recycled.

Spiders and their webs are absolutely fascinating: many produce more than one kind of silk for different purposes.

Burnt Ash

jakunen

Native
JFW said:
Wasn't it Shrek who made a popsicle from spiders webs and flies? :rolmao:

JFW
No, it was Princess Fiona...

The funnels are from the Wolf Spider IIRC? You can tease them out with a thin grass stem.

I think spiders can live for a few years as I have found empty husks. And judging by the size of some of the funnels I saw...

I remember an episode of Mark O'Shea's series where he was after a spider for a anti-venin lab and they found some fangs that had been shed as the female spider grew. Was bloody SCARY!:yikes:

I like spiders webs when they are jewelled with dew or frost, but hate the damn things in my face...

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I wouldn't mind getting a few of the giant nephilla orb web spiders - their webs are said to be strong enough to catch fish and birds. Although my workshop colony of spiders is nice, they're not quite up to that standard.
Realgar

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I had chance to see a beautiful web attached to an old chicken coop in the area where I do a lot of hiking. It was awesome and very large. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the web was abandoned and in very poor shape. Took a photo of it.

hike003b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE