Spider

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not to interrupt a good going discussion (spiders/sharks ??) but I've been picking up and throwing the blasted things outside for a lot of years and never been bitten yet.
I didn't know our spiders could bite hard enough to hurt a human :dunno:
Are there some that are known to bite ? Native to the UK that is, especially my wet Scottish bit of it :)

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not to interrupt a good going discussion (spiders/sharks ??) but I've been picking up and throwing the blasted things outside for a lot of years and never been bitten yet.
I didn't know our spiders could bite hard enough to hurt a human :dunno:
Are there some that are known to bite ? Native to the UK that is, especially my wet Scottish bit of it :)

cheers,
Toddy

Quite a few of our spiders are capable and inclined to bite. the fangs of the house spiders are quite big and can easily penetrate skin quite deeply. I've only ever been bitten by the ones in this thread, but have been attacked by the little Zebra jumper. They will attack readily if you play them up. The others more out of defence if picked up or poked. Harvestman should be able to give a more detailed resonse.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's at least 2 dozen UK species that are capable of biting a human (i.e. actually piercing human skin), including the larger house spiders, big garden spiders (the ones with the 'cross' pattern, above), woodlouse spider, and water spider, basically any of the larger species. However, they generally won't bite unless they have no option - the one that bit me was in my slipper, and bit my toe when I put my bare foot in and trapped it, crushing its leg in the process. What else could it do?

None of them are remotely dangerous though, unless you happen to be allergic. Woodlouse spider is the only one I would hesitate to handle because it has huge armour-piercing fangs and is much more aggressive than most UK species, but that is still pretty placid on a global scale. Spider venom is usually 10 times less toxic to a mammal than an insect, so by the time you factor in the volume of venom they can inject relative to your body size, you see that it is remarkable that any species could do any harm at all.

In the USA, the species Tegenaria agrestis (which occurs in the UK, including Scotland) is reported to have a potentially dangerous bite, and is referred to as the Aggressive House Spider, but that is suspected to be a misinterpretation of agrestis rather than any reflection on its behaviour. There are no reports of anyone in the UK ever having been bitten by one, let alone harmed by one.

Carry on throwing them out. You won't get bitten. But be warned - they come straight back in!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those little zebra jumpers are a pest; they come in our bedroom window and take a lot of catching :( A bit of paper gets them confused though, so I make wee paper aeroplanes, scoop them up and throw them out for a flight :D

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those little zebra jumpers are a pest; they come in our bedroom window and take a lot of catching :( A bit of paper gets them confused though, so I make wee paper aeroplanes, scoop them up and throw them out for a flight :D

M

:lmao::lmao: That's brilliant!

Try confronting them with a mirror too. They have fabulous eyesight, so they react to their reflection.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
:lmao::lmao: That's brilliant!

Try confronting them with a mirror too. They have fabulous eyesight, so they react to their reflection.

I kept tapping my finger a couple of inches away from it to get a reaction. Scared the crap out of me when it launched itself at my finger like a tiger.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At least your's is rational :eek:
I hate fluttery things. Just absolutely detest them.
I know it's stupid, I even taught my infant sons to laugh at Mummy being silly, but I can't get over it :(

Techinically, spiders can be dangerous.

cheers,
M

S

SteveD

I see the big ones occassionally running across my carpet and squeal like a girlie, even though when i vist the kids down in NSW Oz I come across Huntsmen spiders which are even bigger and uglier looking.

I also make sure the house down there is sprayed yearly as they also have problems with red backs and white backs !!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
oooh i dislike spiders.

I just got my first spider bite too...
was in crete and tried to operate a defunct out door shower, then felt a sharp pinch on my arm like a needle being pressed in but not deeply.
when i looked down this tiny (5-6mm span) black spider was crawling up my arm.
I got a really fuzzy shot of it but it looks more like an ant from the angle i got (really pointy down abdomen)
Then a day later i was be-barking a piece of dryed olive branch and a bigger (10-12mm span) black spider ran out, not fast like the uk house spiders but fast enough...this one had a white 'I' shape on its back with a sort of shodowey grey outline. again rushed to get the camera but all i got was a shot of it abseiling down a wall out of my reach.

would loved to of known what they are but llike i said...creepy horrible things YUUUKKKK!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE