Spey Descent

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
My brother, redundant from banking, and I did the spey over 2 and a half days. Good level, 0.4m, and a good weather window. Only one night of rain. Great 3rd day (half day) from Blacksboat down to Spey bay, current the whole way, 6hrs.

We paddled Old Town Charles River boats solo. My own boat is the one with the blocks, my bro hired his. Wild camped, if the 'campsite' at blacksboat station can be called a campsite, just a tap and rough field. The frist night we spent outside Aviemore on the bank. No fisherman and no one else on the whole 106km we paddled, no midges, tee shirts on wednesday !

We started at Kingussie as the Newtonmore stretch down to Kingussie was too scrapey.

I would start at Boat of Garten or Old Spey Bridge if doing it again.

Photos

Old Spey Bridge after the rapids
p1010100.jpg

It's a big river at times
p1010090.jpg

The end as we approached the sea, low tide helps
p1010112.jpg

100_3131.JPG

100_3103.JPG

100_3106.JPG

Decathlon Tarp, perfect. The centre eyelet is good for spilling water off.

100_3084-1.JPG

Grade 2 rapids at Old Spey Bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1ccoP9jAk

Ps Retired parents,caravanners, help the shuttle !

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It is worth it. Plenty of wild camping spots riverside - discrete and away from fisherman/beats - every single mile of the river.

It really is a great trip. Ample wildlife - herons all along - buzzards, ducks, salmon leaping all the time. cleaning out their gills of sea lice.

Post up any queries of you wish. You must do it solo as it's more fun than tandem. The only thing we did not do that we wanted was sailing with the tarp and stopping for rapids photos but we were short daylight.

Nick

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Nice post Scott looks like a good trip, its one that I very much fancy doing aswell would you say it would make a good family trip or would I be better of suggesting another flat water type event. We would more than likely choose early Spring next year or in the early Autumn. I have read a few bloggs and have seen all sorts doing it so thought it might be a good first river expedition.

Tony if The family dont want to we can make a trip of it mate.

Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Many, many, moons ago I too did the trip - magic!
I took a lot longer due to having to fit in with our shuttle, but that was no bad thing realy as it made for a realy chilled out 6 days.....we started up at Newtonmore and had good levels on snow melt.
The wildlife was excellent - we saw Osprey nearly everyday as well as deer swimming the river in frot of us.
Camping was great, the rapids easy to run ( though some of the wavetrains put water into a couple of the boats) and everyone we met (even some of the fishermen!) were friendly.

I must get up there and run it again .....
Thanks for reminding me of good times!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nice post Scott looks like a good trip, its one that I very much fancy doing aswell would you say it would make a good family trip

Well it does get more technical over the 2 1/2 days. But I would happily take my 8yr old nephew in the bow of my boat, he would love it but get wet and need a wetsuit. The Ardeche in France, grd III max, allows 7yr olds and over.

I would say it's how good you are at guiding/paddling at the back. I'm an ex Alpine WW Raft Guide and Canoe coach but my wee bro has only done the Ardeche on a SOT and he had never solo paddled a canoe until the put in ! After ten mins he had a 90% J stroke mixed with a C stroke. Getting the trim right, bow heavy on the flat and bow light on the WW makes all the difference. People slag the OT Chalres river for high bows in windage, myth, but the gunnels and high bow divert water away. The wetest rapid is near the flood defence/repairs where a boulder wall has created a dbl diagonal stopper/kickback. My wee bro swamped there. We did not scout any rapids as a standing up (soemone can hold your gunnel) is enough to see the lines.

or would I be better of suggesting another flat water type event. We would more than likely choose early Spring next year or in the early Autumn. I have read a few bloggs and have seen all sorts doing it so thought it might be a good first river expedition.

There are very few rocky bits for pinning etc and it would be a good start as the flatwater etc at the beginning builds up. The flatwater can be very boring/tiring as you can have a 6-7hr day with little rest in low levels in the upper section.The last day is amazing as it just increases and has fast current and rapids all the way to spey bay, we averaged 10km/hr plus at Spey bay !

I think early/mid May or late September early Oct is best as it's midge free and wet or snow melt.

The SCA river advisor fror the Spey, Dave Craig, has written an extensive guide on the SCA site and has all the details.
http://www.speydescent.com/speyguide.htm

Tiso hire the charles river for £60 for the week a great deal. Even though we only used it for less time.
http://www.tiso.com/customer_service/hire/

We GPSed with a paper Spey Side Way map and we nearly missed the Blacksboat Site, not clear from the river. There are many bridges, which are the best navigation landmarks, but careful navigating helps. There are great cheese and onion bridies in the wee shop in Boat of Garten, 200yds from river bridge. Many bridges could give you discrete bivvy spots in poor weather. There is a chain under the Blackboats brdige for overnight locking of boats.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE