Spending 24 Hours In A Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I just got an idea! :idea:

Why not spend 24 hours of a lifetime in a tree? I will do it as soon as i can. As an adventure, but also to understand nature better and how it works at night, and of course a test of constant concentration. :wink:

I will be sleeping in a hammock, in a sleeping bag. No security lines or anything at day, but at night when asleep I will find out some sort of security, or not? :roll: :lol: We'll see.
Will then be making meals in a tree, sleeping up there, spending the day up there, etc. never touching the ground in 24 hours.

I'll let you know if it's possible this weekend and then give you a blog on it. :biggthump

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I saw an epsiode of Heart of the country(local tv show,very good it is too)where there were a group of people climbing larger trees as a sport,they even slept up trees in a lightweight plastic bath tub arrangement which they called a tree boat.It looked fun i must say.

hootchi

Settler
That looks like a very interesting experiment. However as im sure you are aware we have evolved to become very different from apes and even further from monkeys. I have always thought it would be a fun thing to do!

This is interesting because I assume you are planning to walk along the tops of the branches, like a monkey, rather than swing below, like an ape! We still have similar hands and feet as apes, rather than monkeys, so this should be more possible! It should be possible if we were able to put on enough muscle and had short enough legs.

If the hammock is not too high from the ground I would not have thought that saftey line would be necessary. How high do people normally sling their hammocks?

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
only 24 hours vik we have a local tree surgeon here in guernsey who lived up one for four days to raise money for the local needy children he had a special extra deep canvas hammock made by a sail maker with a tarp for the nights and an open top but deep one for the days he lived ate and slept over 50 foot up for the whole time :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
grumit said:
only 24 hours vik we have a local tree surgeon here in guernsey who lived up one for four days to raise money for the local needy children he had a special extra deep canvas hammock made by a sail maker with a tarp for the nights and an open top but deep one for the days he lived ate and slept over 50 foot up for the whole time :wave:
That was a long time/altitude. But I have to go to school and the weekend is only 2½ days. :) But the next summer holiday which is on 45 days....... :twisted:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
How are you gonna...you know...relieve natures calling...:shock: :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao: :rolmao:

How did you find that! :shock:

Viking, you a contender?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
TheViking said:
I just got an idea! :idea:

Why not spend 24 hours of a lifetime in a tree? I will do it as soon as i can. As an adventure, but also to understand nature better and how it works at night, and of course a test of constant concentration. :wink:

I will be sleeping in a hammock, in a sleeping bag. No security lines or anything at day, but at night when asleep I will find out some sort of security, or not? :roll: :lol: We'll see.
Will then be making meals in a tree, sleeping up there, spending the day up there, etc. never touching the ground in 24 hours.

I'll let you know if it's possible this weekend and then give you a blog on it. :biggthump

Like Odin's quest for the runes in the branches of Yggdrasil the world tree.

I know I hung on that windswept Tree
nine whole days and nights,
wounded with a spear, offered to Odin,
myself to mine own self given,
high on that Tree of which none hath heard
from what roots it rises to heaven.

None refreshed me ever with food or drink
I peered right down in the deep;
crying aloud I lifted the Runes,
then back I fell from thence.
ygg.gif

From the Havamal

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
what a coincedence.. i spen a few hours sitting in the top of a large pine near me last week and i wondered about sleeping in it.. i was going to ask if anyone has ever put their hennesy/pod up high in the canapy.. but i didnt want people to think i was a loony risk taker.. :nono:
so has anyone?? :naughty: :wink:

i would also like to draw another parale here with vision quest.. though i have never heard of anyone taking one up a tree it seems like a fairly good place to do i.. im sure it mush have been though of though.. anyone heard of it.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tomtom said:
what a coincedence.. i spen a few hours sitting in the top of a large pine near me last week and i wondered about sleeping in it.. i was going to ask if anyone has ever put their hennesy/pod up high in the canapy.. but i didnt want people to think i was a loony risk taker.. :nono:
so has anyone?? :naughty: :wink:

i would also like to draw another parale here with vision quest.. though i have never heard of anyone taking one up a tree it seems like a fairly good place to do i.. im sure it mush have been though of though.. anyone heard of it.

I don't think up a tree would be the best spot for vision questing, what with an altered states of consciousness. Under a tree however is very enightening. (whoops went all 'hippy' on the board there for a moment.... Peace man!!)

hippy-peace.jpg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yes.. i see your point.. but if you wished to "test" yourself it could be good.. lol maybe a low tree would be best.. also.. maybe your inner animal would keep you safe and balanced.. like a roosting bird :wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Why has high alititude peeing crossed my mind. I think guys are at an advantage when it comes to this

2 years takes the above mentioned. How much exercise can you get in a tree?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Here are a few reasons I could think of, the last being the most obvious:
  • Safe from bear attack (or ground insects, animals, snakes etc)
  • Elevated above potentially flooding water bodies (4 people died last year in France camping close to a river that flooded)
  • Hidden away more than on ground ( when wild camping etc in less legal situations)
  • You like to wake up with a view :lol:
  • Cooler breezes in hot summer months/ ventilation
  • Because you can :)

It's a great idea Andy :biggthump.

When I was young I slept under a wheel barrow for a night, so a tree sounds positively sane :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE