Spell checker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi Tony and other mods!

Would it be possible to add some sort of spell checker to the forum, similar to the one on MS word or something?

Thanks,

Will

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, it is possible but we're not going to at the moment as we're upgrading soon and we'd just have to take it off again later. I use firefox and it's got a built in spell checker, might be worth looking at :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Another vote for Mozilla Firefox.

Although weirdly enough the word "Firefox" is flagged up by their own software as being incorrectly spelled.
Bit of a marketing FAIL.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I suppose you could always just "learn to spell" of course, that would do you, and the rest of the English speaking fraternity a big favour.

Basick Edukashun Reely Eye Suppoze
:lmao:

While I detest the use of 'text speak' some folk, like my son, are Dyslexic and rely on spell checkers to help them out with things like course work and internet forums; spell checkers can also stop people posting snotty comments.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Although weirdly enough the word "Firefox" is flagged up by their own software as being incorrectly spelled.
Bit of a marketing FAIL.

I spotted that too :confused: , however most of the FF plugin's are created independantly of Mozilla.

Wilderbeast - if I were you I would complain to your school (assuming you are staff not a pupil of course!)

I still would - the list of FF is better than IE is farily endless :lmao:

While I detest the use of 'text speak' some folk, like my son, are Dyslexic and rely on spell checkers to help them out with things like course work and internet forums; spell checkers can also stop people posting snotty comments.

And sarcastic ones too Rick, and a chance for people to take jokes out of context.
Although...
I am amazed that people that can't spell get attracted to forums in the way that they do!
I mean, it seems that most forums are really just "cyberhomes" for the Dyslexic, a place to publicly embarrass themselves.
Of course not

MOST people are NOT Dyslexic however, and are just plain lazy when it comes to basic English skills.

Yes a spell checker would help the Dyslexic, but I do get rather irritated by the way that the standard of our English has deteriorated,helped of course by the Americans, who never seem to miss a chance to bastardize our language. "Aloominum! for example. When was it ever spelt like that? yet that's how they pronounce it, and my old favourite...The Ruff, the thing that sits on top of your house.... Grrrrrr

Maybe I am just stalwart for good old basic education, but with so many syndromes that kids can hide behind these days... well there is always a valid excuse.
No offence meant, but I have watched this escalate over the decades, and there is no doubt that standards are falling, and now we have text speak just to help the process along.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Languages change, they always have. However the speed at which they are changing these days can be attributed to how the modern world communicates - it's unfortunate, but we're not going to be able to stop it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
And sarcastic ones too Rick, and a chance for people to take jokes out of context.
Although...... (Should only be four periods as it is at the end of a sentence)
I am amazed that people that (That ‘that’ should be a who) can't spell get attracted to forums in the way that they do!
I mean, it seems that most forums are really just "cyber-homes" for the (Small d) Dyslexic, a place to publicly embarrass themselves.
Of course not(missing punctuation)

MOST people are NOT (Small d)Dyslexic however, and are just plain lazy when it comes to basic English skills.

Yes a spell checker would help the (Small d)Dyslexic, but I do get rather irritated by the way that the standard of our English has deteriorated,helped(Missing space) of course by the Americans, who never seem to miss a chance to bastardizse our (That should be an s)language. "Aloominum! (Missing capitalisation) for example. When was it ever spelt like that? (Missing capitalisation) yet that's how they pronounce it, and my old favourite...(should be four periods, as it is at the end of a sentence) The Ruff, the thing that sits on top of your house.... Grrrrrr

Maybe I am just (missing a)stalwart for good old basic education, but with so many syndromes that kids can hide behind these days... well there is always a valid excuse.
No offence meant, but I have watched this escalate over the decades, and there is no doubt that standards are falling, and now we have text speak just to help the process along.

You might want to spell check your work before making a post criticising other people spelling, as we all get a tad lazy, it only take a pedantic soul such as myself, to come along and notice that none of us are above reproach. :D

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
It's tradition: a post criticizing someone else's spelling will contain at least one spelling mistake.
(was "it only take" your deliberate weaving error? :) )

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It's tradition: a post criticizing someone else's spelling will contain at least one spelling mistake.
(was "it only take" your deliberate weaving error? :) )
Yes, I even told you so "notice that none of us are above reproach. :D"

You might want to spell check your work before making a post criticising other people spelling, as we all get a tad lazy, it only take a pedantic soul such as myself, to come along and notice that none of us are above reproach. :D

I was referring to basic English, I never said I was perfect, and I did not get pedantic. Unlike some of course.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE