Speed limits for caravans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
A mate of mine said that the speed limit for towing caravans has been dropped to 50 miles an hour, I thought it was 60, anyone clarify for me?

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Just looked it up here (Item 123). 60mph on Motorways and dual carriageways, 50mph other roads, 30mph in built up areas.

I had been wondering if the limits still applied considering the number of caravans that I have seen towed recently at 70mph+.

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just looked it up here (Item 123). 60mph on Motorways and dual carriageways, 50mph other roads, 30mph in built up areas.

I had been wondering if the limits still applied considering the number of caravans that I have seen towed recently at 70mph+.

Richard

I got passed by a Toyota Land Cruiser towing a big caravan on the M74 coming home from Scotland at the weekend. I was sticking to 70mph because I had my canoe on the roof so god knows what he was doing.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It's 60 mph for any vehicle towing anything.
The most worrying thing I saw was on the M32 one night,I was driving a coach and travelling at 62 MPH .I was passed by another coach that was being towed by a breakdown truck.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Dont forget that if you have a newish driving license then you need to pass the towing test as well:

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.
Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E, in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM. It is not necessary to gain subcategory C1 entitlement first but drivers have to meet higher medical standards, and pass both the category C theory test and the subcategory C1+E practical test.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Heck, there's a towing test?????? :lmao:

He he, yeah, a caravan isn't all that bushcrafty but it's very family friendly, we're picking up the in laws on the way up to the lakes, going with friends that have one etc

Umm, i wonder why my friend thought it had been dropped to 50mph, unless it used to be 60 on dual/motorway and other 60's and now it's less, I always thought it was 10 below everything down to 30.

:drive: Me at 90 with the van on the back :D Well, maybe not being a defender:D

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's used to be 50, then went to the current 60/50. Having said that I've yet to see a caravanner get booked up! Some country roads have now been down classed to 50, perhaps that's the confusion?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE