spear fhishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 25, 2010
Scotland
I have read that back in 19oatcake people used to use burning torches to attract fish at night, spearing them when they came to investigate the light above the water.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've had carp (on rod and line) in 8" of water and plenty of trout in next to nothing in rivers.....spear fishing here is a big no no. You have to have a licence to fish with a rod, can you see them giving you one for a spear? :D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
You have to have a license to fish with a rod here as well. I think the difference is that we have (in most, if not all, states) a category of fish called "rough" or "non-game" fish. This includes such fish as carp, suckers, redhorse, shad, etc. These fish are not protected as they are considered a nuisance. Since they are "non-game" they are outside of almost all protection. Therefore, spearing these fish is legal. Generally no license is required for anything that is listed as non-game.

Do you have no "nuisance" or "rough" fish that fall outside of your game laws?

After carp were introduced to the U.S. from Europe, they proliferated in many rivers and to a great extent pushed other, more desirable fish out. American anglers tend to hate them, although there are a handful of people that like them. Personally, I find them too "bony" to bother with.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
You have to have a license to fish with a rod here as well. I think the difference is that we have (in most, if not all, states) a category of fish called "rough" or "non-game" fish. This includes such fish as carp, suckers, redhorse, shad, etc. These fish are not protected as they are considered a nuisance. Since they are "non-game" they are outside of almost all protection. Therefore, spearing these fish is legal. Generally no license is required for anything that is listed as non-game.

Do you have no "nuisance" or "rough" fish that fall outside of your game laws?

After carp were introduced to the U.S. from Europe, they proliferated in many rivers and to a great extent pushed other, more desirable fish out. American anglers tend to hate them, although there are a handful of people that like them. Personally, I find them too "bony" to bother with.

American Crayfish are a real problem right now in the UK, would you like them back? :D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Not particularly, but I will trade you all of our clams that got into the Great Lakes from Euopean waters for our crayfish back. These clams have no natural enemies here and reproduce madly and clog up our water inlets, etc.

Also the English starling has pushed most of the song birds aside and been a major pest for many many years.

Looks like that water highway that brought you our crayfish and our "tree rats" brought us some lovelies as well. LOL. I expect there will be lots more of this in the future, sadly.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Just as a word of caution. I'm certain that spear fishing in fresh water is against the law in the UK.

I know that in many US states the carp is regarded as a pest fish, in fact there are places where it is illegal to return a caught carp to the water alive, but you get spotted spearing carp in the UK and not only will you very quickly find yourself dealing with the Law, you'll probably do so whilst being treated for the injuries incurred when the local anglers 'arrested' you.

... and don't even be seen carrying a spear around any of the Scottish salmon rivers, as this would be seen as clear evidence of intent to use it.

As children, we used to fish for flounders in the river estuary at low water with a garden fork, or failing that a barbed stick. I'm not so sure I'd chance my luck on that these days though as there's always some goody-two-shoes with the moral high ground and a mobile phone!

I also remember an incident involving the local Bobby asking us what we'd been up to and three 10 year old boys covered from head to foot in salmon scales replying in unison, "Nuthin!"

Outdoor_Guy

Jul 17, 2010
UK
www.paracordbracelet.co.uk
Crayfish.. the bane of my life when fishing a reservoir in Hertfordshire! Agreed! Are they tasty? In regards to making a spear there are many designs. You can make the whole experience a lot easier by making the end of the spear forked (multiple prongs). Also if you can create some sort of barb on the forks it goes a long way to holding the fish as when you speak them, they will obviously flap and a lot of the time will come free if there is no barbs.. If you need any help let me know... Ta.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Caught lots with a spear. I didn't make mine though. I use the store bought take down (four section) Hawaiian 3 prong pole spear with sling.

It's great for fish, octopus, crab, etc in the ocean. And I've used it in the streams and fresh water pools for prawns as well. It works great.

But if you make your own, get a long straight stick. Bamboo works great, but anything straight will do. Split one end so that you quarter the stick. Tie it off below the split to keep it from opening up more. Sharpen the four "prongs." Then wedge a spacer to open it up. Two twigs in a criss cross or a rock on the middle will work. To make it more "permanent" you can tie the spacer down so it doesn't fall out when you use it. Easier to tie the twigs.

While the homemade spear might have a hard time penetrating hard shelled crab if your prongs are thin, you should be able to get most other water critters.

To use, spear, pin to make sure it's on good, retrieve, prepare and eat. And of course, take lots of pictures.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Mullet in harbours and esturies are pretty easy targets. They sit still basking in the sun right on the surface. Shame they taste of bottom though...

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Made this a couple of days ago, after reading about frog gigs on bladeforums. It took about 45 mins, i started by batoned a little into a greenwood stick and spread the it into quarters, then jammed 2 pieces of wood in the space to keep them spread out. After that i whittled away.

Next time ill make the spear from wood with a smaller diameter and thin the points some more. Barbs would also help, i think. Havent tried it yet though.

4834032691_4e8dec1a6d_z.jpg

4834032327_d35c89ca74_z.jpg

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Apparently, fish are attracted to red light shone into shallow clear water on the fringes of a stream or river, directly over a pale rock or something which will allow the silhouette of the fish to be seen much easier. Apparently.............That's just what I heard.
;)

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
@Alfredo Nice spread you got there, ill have to try to get more than 4 points. Did you try to catch anything with it? And whats the knife you got there?

Hi Pulha. Not any catching on fish, unfortunately is forbidden here :-(
The knife is a Scrap Yard MUK, this one, one of my preferred

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
taken from a spearfishing club website:

SPEARFISHING AND THE LAW

No licence is required for the types of speargun described in this booklet. However, Spearguns and spears are potentially lethal and when used in a dangerous manner, the laws governing the use of an offensive weapon would apply.

Spearfishing is illegal in the non tidal reaches of Britain's rivers. No licence or permit is required for fishing in the sea around the coast of Britain.

In Britain, there is national legislation and local bye- laws governing the minimum size of fish and shellfish that may be legally taken; other countries impose similar restrictions.

Im pretty sure that you can only spearfish basically if you are diving basically... but its very very frowned upon in the uk by the diving fraternity.... so unless you have a well stocked pond or know someone with some very private land etc.... maybe worth just making them for practice and then putting them on the wall!!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE