Sparrowhawk takes out magpie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
saw this clip on springwatch a while ago. i am not sure it was intentional really and it just ended up in there and took advantage of the situation it had fallen in rather than planned it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
saw this clip on springwatch a while ago. i am not sure it was intentional really and it just ended up in there and took advantage of the situation it had fallen in rather than planned it.

It was certainly intentional, they do it quite regularly when given the right circumstances. A freind of mine has seen the same thing happen on the banks of a canal.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

I find it a bit hard to believe too, surely it would be too risky for one bird to try and drown another. :confused: i am sure a pike would like to come across that too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I find it a bit hard to believe too, surely it would be too risky for one bird to try and drown another. :confused: i am sure a pike would like to come across that too.

Check out the WildaboutBritain forums. Quite a few people have witnessed it happen in birdbaths or shallow ponds. Herring Gulls do it all of the time, so why not a sophisticated predator like the SH.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just would have thought it would be hard to judge the depth of the water first before dragging the prey into it. If it was a lot deeper it may have struggled. I guess what i would want to see is it draggin they prey a good distance to a bit of water that wasnt right next to it.

Not saying they are not capable or intelligent enough just the risks involved for a bird of prey that has to hunt to live.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
they are pretty clever though. i assume its a learnt skill and develops with practice in the right area so those who aren't good at it stick to conventional methods or do it wrong and become fish food.
the magpies are by far the smarter bird though...

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
though a juvenile one would have trouble and possibly not even consider it, especially if it has never seen another do it before. you would think it would be a skill only known in one area but the bluetits across the country pretty much simultaneously worked out the milk bottle lid problem, so maybe word spreads fast :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE