sparkplug's homemade bacon photo journal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Inspired by fishfish's excellent post on this subject, and borrowing some of his ideas, here's my variation on the same theme.

Firstly, I buy a whole pork belly from my local butcher. Costs will vary, but mine are usually £10 - £15 depending on weight.

I ask to keep the ribs on for two reasons. The first is that it makes the cut of meat cheaper per kg (the less work the butcher does the less you pay!) The second is that it is easy to remove yourself and that I like ribs :)

So this is where we start:

DSCF0396.jpg

To remove the ribs I use an 8" cooks knife and cut just below the rib. Don't worry about being very close to the bone as you will want some meat to stick to the rib.

DSCF0397.jpg

I follow this cut along the length of the ribs...

DSCF0400.jpg

... before taking the cut through the 'spine' side - but there is no right or wrong sequence here.

DSCF0399.jpg

This is how my ribs look just before they are completely removed and put to one side. (More on them later)

DSCF0402.jpg

I then pick a non-metallic container in which the belly will cure. Metal will react to the salt in the cure and will impair the taste. I like this one as it has a locking lid and makes for easy to handle sized sides of bacon. Cut your belly into strips which are narrower than the container - I know it sounds obvious, but also divide the belly so you don't end up with one tiny piece at the end. Usually thirds or quarters work well for me.

DSCF0403.jpg

Next - something I've never tried before but which fishfish described in his method and I've unashamedly stolen as it sounds like a good idea. Piercing the skin side with the point of the knife to allow the cure to get in.

DSCF0404.jpg

What is in the cure? Coarse sea salt, coarse ground (or cracked) black pepper and I've added some juniper berries which I had left over from the last gin I made (maybe the subject of a future thread) Bay leaves are another popular flavouring but it was raining and I couldn't be bothered to put my shoes on and go out into the garden! I make up a batch of cure in a separate resealable container so I can use it to top up the cure over the coming days (explained in detail later)

DSCF0406.jpg

I cover the base of the container with a layer of cure...

DSCF0407.jpg

...place a piece of belly in...

DSCF0408.jpg

...cover it with a layer of cure (not forgetting to rub some into the edges)...

DSCF0409.jpg

...and repeat until all your pieces are in.

DSCF0410.jpg

Close your container and refrigerate. It's cool enough outside at the moment (but not freezing) that I leave it in an outbuilding.

DSCF0411.jpg

Day 1 over. Or is it?

Remember those ribs you put to one side? Well this is as good a time as any to rub them in the same cure that you used for the bacon.

DSCF0412.jpg

Leave for an hour or so and then brush the excess cure mixture off. DON'T rinse it under water as it will wash all the flavour off. I then simply add some rosemary and place it in a hot oven (200c) for around an hour turning occasionally to brown on both sides and dinner is sorted. Of course you can do lots of other things with a rack of ribs - I also often hot smoke them - but I like the fact that this uses the existing cure and really requires no extra effort (apart from putting your shoes on to go to the garden to get the rosemary :) )

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Day 2.

Some liquid will have formed as the cure draws moisture out of the meat.

DSCF0413.jpg

Simply pour this out and then re-stack your meat so that the piece which was on the bottom moves to the top and every other piece moves down one. Re-coat each piece with some fresh cure.

Repeat this for Day 3 and maybe Day 4. You will know when the meat is ready as it starts to firm up and it changes colour and stops looking like meat and starts looking like bacon. Although my photos aren't the best you can already see that this has started to happen.

As I type, I am still on day 2 but will continue with photos as the process continues if there is interest.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
This looks like an easy method to make bacon. Do you not use any Sodium Nitrite (or is it Nitrate?) which is used in commercial curing?

mmmmm homemade bacon....

Jay

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Please do keep the pictures coming, its a facinating insight of days gone by (my Dads parents always had a pig at the bottom of the garden when he was a lad).
Beats the hell out of Big Brother, whatever that is!!!! :lmao:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Lordyosch - No I don't use any of the curing salts (both the ones you mention are used often combined as a 'general purpose' curing salt as it's safer to use than saltpeter aka potassium nitrate). The reasons for me not using them are 1) The primary purpose of these salts is to maintain an appealing colour which I'm not bothered about achieving. They do also add some preservative quality but it's not really needed. 2) They are not very easy to source and you have to be fairly careful about dosage 3) My wife is mildly allergic to these preservatives, which is why I started making my own bacon all those years ago!

Jacko - Don't worry, I haven't forgotten that this thread is incomplete. It's just that my bacon isn't ready yet! (serves me right for doing it in 'real time' :D ) I will hopefully post more pics this evening. The end of yesterday was just a repeat of my last update.

Pour off the excess liquid and re-stack the bacon moving everything down a layer and replenishing the cure. The pic would have been pretty much identical to the last :)

Home cure is the way forward imo
I have worked in the meat industry (Butcher) from when I left school till I was about 21.
I still source wholesale meats and prep my own burgers, I had a go at bacon years ago but opted for wet cure as it was all I knew about. I am sick to the back teeth of mass produced bacon pumped full of water. I went to a meattrade fair in the late 80's and was gobsmacked at all the new machinery for pumping your cured products full of water and other
'profit increasers'.

I am going to have a go at this method after my half term holiday.

@Sparkplug, do you find the bacon over salty when you eat it? do you blanche it before you cook it?
The reason I ask is that I used to get bacon from a guy in shrewsbury which was dry cured and I always found it too salty cooked as is.

I sometimes get over to buxton and get home cured bacon from a butcher there and its pretty damned good.

Bodge

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Sorry it's taken a while to do the final instalment - this batch of bacon was made for some friends who came over for the weekend and we had a great time which meant I didn't quite get round to my bacon journal...

So where were we?

Ah - yes! How to tell when it's ready.
This is not an exact science and will vary from time to time and also to your preference and storing cababilities. For example If you are going to freeze the extra bacon it doesn't need to be cured as long as if you are going to store it in a larder or fridge.

My personal 'rule of thumb' is that the meat sort of hardens a bit and 'resists gravity' as illustrated
DSCF0415.jpg

The colour of the meat is also an indicator, but you'll pick this up from experience.

The next step is to scrape off the excess salt, don't worry if some is still on the surface as the bacon will be soaked before eating.

DSCF0414.jpg

Slice the bacon (if you prefer yours with the rind off, you could remove it before slicing as this makes slicing easier)
DSCF0416.jpg

and then soak in cold water. This was a question raised above - the bacon is a bit too salty for most tastes with a dry cure. I find soaking a thickly sliced bacon under running water for around 20 mins suits me. Your tastes may be different so experiment to find the time that works for you. Thinner slices reduce soaking time.

cook as usual and enjoy!

If you do want to freeze some, I use greaseproof paper (or bags in this case) - this way the bacon will keep for several months.

DSCF0417.jpg

Do try some - you'll be surprised at how good this tastes :)

*edit* I meant to say that the idea I borrowed from Fishfish of piercing the skin with the point of a knife really does represent a noticeable improvement in the quality of the finished bacon and it is something I will be doing in future. :35: Thanks fishfish

I got some belly pork today and will have a bash at this over the next few days if I can find a plastic box big enough :)
Once its cured would it be ok to take it out on a trip using it daily for say a week if it was kept cool or does it need to be in the fridge ?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Could you get the same effect without draining by using a container with holes in it, just like dry salting mackerel?

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
i use a similar method and similar cure, but i only rub the cure in once and then hang the loin in a pillow case over a bucket for 4 days in the garage then just wipe the loin with a clean cloth and slice, its never too salty but tastes out of this world.i have 3 kg hanging now ready on wednesday, DEEEELISCIOUS.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
If there is one thing i cant live without its bacon! Looks like you did a good job there.
Did you know you can make your own eggs to? They contain no nutrients and cause dementia but Im impressed its actually possible. the Chinese make thousands of these illegal pirate eggs!
http://paultan.org/archives/2006/01/01/china/
Not that home made eggs are very bushcrafty. Maybe we need everybody to make threads on other home made breakfast stuff like blackpuddings and sausages. Id love to have a go at blackpuddings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE