Spammel, here's some pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
janiepopps said:
Glad to see you've been taking things nice & easy since the op Eric!!!

You should see the pace I work at when I'm fit. The first meet at Achray and the meet at Chedworth, I was like a whirling dervish. One of these days I'll just drop like a stone and that'll be it. I've always said that some day, some hiker will come across a skeleton in a hammock. That'll be me! :lmao:

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Earthpeace said:
Eric could tell me when and were the Loch Achray meet is?
Is it just for bushcraft or for other things.

Loch Achray is in the Trossachs up in Scotland. It's between Edinburgh and Glasgow but up a bit.

It is a joint meet between BCUK and SOTP (Song of the Paddle), so there will be loads of bushcrafty stuff going on and plenty of people with open canoes (canadian). All of the canoers are without exception I think, willing to let anybody have a go. There will be enough buoyancy aids and paddles to go around.
The original Loch Achray thread is here. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15216

It'd be nice to see you there if you can make it.

Eric

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
Thanks for that link looks great, I have to see want I can do get there. I can get a lift with friends going to England but unfortunately I don't have contacts that far north. Hmmmm
Love your stuff you've made sure workmanship :D
p.s Big thanks for your help on brain tanning your very generous with you knowledge :You_Rock_ . I hope to succeed this time.

Hope I can find a way to be at the meet.
......good luck with your work...
got to milk the cow & feed animals now.................

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Eric, great work there. Just as beautiful as it is functional!

One question re. bearing block. What do you use a a "lube insert" just curious as I have just made one myslef out of antler and am seeking to find something suitable to put in there to stop it wearing away.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
andyn said:
Eric, great work there. Just as beautiful as it is functional!

One question re. bearing block. What do you use a a "lube insert" just curious as I have just made one myslef out of antler and am seeking to find something suitable to put in there to stop it wearing away.

I use soapstone. There's a shop in town that sells african fair trade artifacts and some of the stuff is made from soapstone. I've asked the shopkeeper for any pieces that get broken. If none are forthcoming, I'll buy something smallish and cut it up. It can be worked with a knife or chisel quite easily then soaked in goose fat for lubrication. Sainsburys sell goose fat in little jars in the Foods of the World section.

You make the hole in the antler just big enough for the soapstone insert to fit. carve a plug of soapstone and glue it into the hole. Sand it flat so it is in line with the profile of the antler, then drill out a suitable depression for the top of the fire drill. Whack some goose fat (bacon fat works as well) into the depression and away you go.

You can do the self same thing with a bearing block made from wood. I did a nice carved frog once in a sitting position. It had a soapstone insert underneath and worked really well. It fitted the hand perfectly and could be worn round the neck as a decoration/totem/shamanic symbol. Unfortunately I loaned the kit to someone to do a demo and I never saw it again.

Eric

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Eric, very nice stuff your a clever bloke. Just had a quick look at your "country-crafts" site, great photo's looks like you manage to keep yourself busy and have loads of fun in the process. Keep posting those pic's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE