Spalted??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
002.jpg

Hi All,
Whilst out today, I came across a large holly tree that had been recently felled,
and this piece caught my eye. I had my laplander with me and cut of this
section, I assume this is "spalted" has anyone used holly for knife blanks
certainley seems to be dense enough. Should I split it, or make a cut through the
center centre of the marked section? Whats your thoughts?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good solid wood that polishes like bone. There is a small time frame between spalt and rotten. Get it cut and seasoned for a whole and see how it goes. Could always have it stabilized.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Holly is one of our really glorious timbers - as dwardo said, polishes up like bone or ivory, is wonderful to carve and immensely strong and stable when seasoned...........prone to splitting and shakes when seasoning though, so get it small as you can use it by splitting, then rack it somewhere dry but without heat and as much airflow as you can manage..........

If you're really lucky some holly that's become infected or poorly can take on a beautiful rose colour - it's rare but wonderful when it happens............................atb mac

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Thanks for that , so its good for carving , Im going to get a couple of good size logs and store them up, maybe have a go at a drinking bowl

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
If you're going to store it as logs it may split as it drys. Paint the ends to slow the drying to resist this. Or as said split it down small and it will dry more even. Good luck with it, and show the results :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you can get a lot of it then experiment :) Always seal the ends of the splits or rounds, moisture tends to escape quicker from the ends.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE