Spalted wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
No it has not gone punky, seems pretty solid.

I have no clue as to the wood but think It may have been a fruit tree of some sort as it was in the middle of the garden of the house I was working in today? It was pretty much a standing dead tree.

Steve

My first thought when I saw the bits was Apple because of some of the patches but then I thought no, probably due to the spalting. Spalting makes it much harder to ID but it does seem like it - just finished working with some so it's fresh in my mind!
http://stewartjlight-knives.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/green-river-knife-complete.html

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red How much would you want for a burl please I do wood turning so they would make nice bowls

Matt, I'll chop some up for those who have asked before you by PM. If there's any left after that I'll shoot you a PM

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I cut a bit up today into rough knife scales, looks nice with a bit of oil on it, would look lovely polished up? I see now that some areas are softer than others so stabilizing would be needed.

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is pretty! You can get the stabalising liquid yourself - I guess its not as good as doing it in a vacuum chamber though

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
I'd be very interested in a set for scales if you have any still going.
I've got a friend who can stabilise them and that would made a really beautiful handle.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
What is the standard dimensions for knife scales?

Steve,

I can't speak for others, but with the type of Bushcraft knives I like to make I normally order a scale of about 160-170mm x 50mm x 11mm

It may be wildly off what the professionals use but I find that works for most of my Bushcraft knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE