Space Blanket advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
They are not as good as you might think,
The figures they give for heat retention are a touch misleading.
They reflect radiant heat, but they have no real value against heat loss from conduction.
They are good in addition to other insulation, but should not really be relied on as a sole insulation provider.
The silver side would go towards the body.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Used one a couple of times as a ground sheet with tarp and bivi. Just got back from using one in here:

Image002.jpg

As part of my sleeping system, whether it made a huge difference I can't say. I did sleep well and warm for the three nights though in a layered Z bag combo, US bivi bag and a 10mm Multimat foam pad.

I paid £15 incl post for mine. Spent way more than that on hard women and loose drink in my time for an hour of pleasure, but this thing will last a good while.

Pays your money; takes your choice but I'm glad I picked one up.

NLW

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I think they are very good; but not for the quoted radiant heat. They are solid without being overly heavy (full size is 340 gr, I often use one cut in two), are easy to fold, don't flap too much with the wind. A no non-sense groundsheet.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Don't get me wrong, they will help in certain situations, you have to know a bit of the science of heat to get the best out of them.

There are three main ways to lose heat.
  1. conduction
  2. convection
  3. radiation

a space blanket will help with 2 and 3, but not with 1
If you're sitting/lying on the cold ground, you'll lose most heat by 1.
If it's windy, 2. is not your friend...

What they are awesome for, is as a backing for a reflector.
In a cold camp, I build a windbreak behind me and it reflects heat from the fire to my back. Add one of these and it makes for a toasty warm night.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'd say they are an excellent bit of kit.

They do make a very good ground sheet. It makes no difference which side you lay aginst the ground.

I use silver to the ground and red on top.

IMAGE_015.jpg

IMAGE_017.jpg

In addition to being a good ground sheet they make an effective reflective blanket also and a durable one so I find they are good for group work. It's also something to sit on if the ground is wet.

Also being red they are visible and make a good makeshift air panel if for instance you are doing any SAR work around helicopters. It folds up reasonably small dries quickly and after 5 years of use is still looking in good condition.

Mine comes along on every trip.

HTH

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Thanks for the info and pics!

I've got an inflatable alpkit mat which will help with the insulation. I don't think it's too much to pay when it comes to a groundsheet and it's light.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
In a previous life I would tie one of those into a poncho, clip the poncho together and is if by magic a cool, very literally, lightweight sleeping system.

Worth having but in terms of a groundsheet I'd be more inclined to go for an IPK sheet with maybe that on top.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Silly question, how do they fare in hammocks where conduction is less of an issue?

They make a noticable difference between layers of a double layer hammock as a way of boosting present insulation, or better acting as a vapour barrier in breathable hammock.

I use the poundland jobs-2 for £1-can't go wrong at that price, especially when 1 trip will usually wreck them. They don't make good bogroll though :yikes:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I use one as an extra ground sheet when camping with the wife in the 4 man tent. But then we cheat with roll mats or inflatable mattress on top.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had one similar back around 1972, the plastic back ones were called Sportsman's Blanket back then. No good on their own on the floor you will get better insulation off a cell foam mat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE