Are you a coffee head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
If you're a little bit of a coffee snob like me, and admit to always looking for that perfect cup of black gold when out and about, I really recommend this:

The Espro Travel Cup.

Basically, it's a like a LifeVenture thermos but with an ultra fine, double lined filter inside. Works just like a French Press and makes a super clean cup of coffee at any time you want one! Simple to clean, just rinse it out and off you go.

I've been using one for just over a year now. It goes almost everywhere with me. (If I can't guarantee a real coffee where I'm going, the Espro gets lobbed in my work bag along with some real coffee).

I've found it works best with a course ground bean, off the boil water added, then stir and leave to steep for 4 minutes before pressing.

No affiliation, I'm just a bit of a coffee snob.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScottE

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Speaking of coffee, if you can't live without it you had better get stocked up as soon as possible, there is going to be worldwide shortage.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Last summer it was reported that an old coffee bush species was refound and it might have high potential as it can take higher temps than the present two, quality was high according to the news. It'll take a few years before they get the production going.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
French press thermos is something I do not understand. Once the plunger is pressed you drink the coffee or pour it in another thermos. You do not keep the coffee in the vessel that is made in because it does not stop extracting, the water is still in contact with the grinds.

Reactions: santaman2000

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I use a Finum brewing basket, usually, much easier to clean out and you can brew it in any mug you want. My problem is that I can't drink coffee without at least some milk in it and even with milk powder it's a bit of a pain when out and about, so often I stick to tea. (Can't stand creamers and Coffee Mate and the like.)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
French press thermos is something I do not understand. Once the plunger is pressed you drink the coffee or pour it in another thermos. You do not keep the coffee in the vessel that is made in because it does not stop extracting, the water is still in contact with the grinds.
Not in this case:

• Two stage extraction blocking micro filter; stops extraction the moment you press the filter down.
I usually use the Aeropress like Man of Tanith, and also have one of the Wacaco Minipresso espresso makers that takes the pods. Both are a bit of a faff when out because they’ll drip in a rucksack and have to be sealed in a poly bag. I like the Espro, seems like a good option.

Good to see the Hot Lava Java pictured, it’s a great coffee, kind of foolproof and doesn’t mind if the water is a bit too hot.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Aeropress is my go to wether out and about or at work (can't break it stuffed in my bag). At home it's a hario v60 dripper. This has me intrigued though as I can't stand over extracted coffee and the "shut off when plunged" bit might work. Must resist.......

Reactions: MattyWW

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
One of my food groups has always been Nescafe' instant. I buy the 260 cup cans, as I live so far from any city.

Lately, I have been playing with the Lagostina presses (2 sizes). I have an electric and a hand-crank bean grinder for the locally dark-roasted beans. I rip open a Keurig pod for the small press, that's convenient. I've even used a press to corral oolong or Imperial gunpowder teas.
Consumption? One big mug each morning. Probably drink that last of it cold. Whatever.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
One thing I noticed when starting grinding beans myself. Even if the coffee gets cold it does not taste bitter and nasty like it does with coffee made of store bought grinded coffee.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I feel I am well equipped to hold considerable knowledge of coffee.

But if my credentials need examining then I will point to the many years of myself working 12 hour Nightshifts and benefit of the company kindly provided a Hot drinks vending machine gratis...

( Which we definitely didn't abuse to the point where in the end they had to change policy and put a charge on it. )

A quick coffee before the start of the shift handover to stop the feeling of sleepiness.

Another coffee ( or two ) after the day shift have left to chat about the REALLY important things.

Raison d'être then was at least one coffee on the hour every hour , or if you were a seasoned sweat Two at a time - one to drink AT the coffee machine - another to take back to your work location.

At the end of the shift , to ensure you got home in one piece and didn't micro sleep whilst driving , you'd neck at least another Two coffee's - More likely to be Three , because just like planting Shrubs - odd numbers look better.

At the end of a shift one could rack up quite the body count of little plastic cups.

Then of course there was an opportunity to increase ones bodycount somewhat - 'ghosters' - so working a full additional 12 hour shift ontop of the original shift meant the vending machine equivalent of extra-time to drop a few more dregs of tan coloured carcinogen laden caffeine.

So , yeah... Coffee... I know a thing or two about.

v1.jpg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Not in this case:

• Two stage extraction blocking micro filter; stops extraction the moment you press the filter down.

You beat me to it! It does indeed stop extracting once the filter reaches the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE