Soup can forge help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Managed to get quite a large soup can and fancy making myself a gas powered forge. I have seen a video on YouTube on a smaller soup can forge and wanted to clarify the following:

Does the lining have to be plaster or can I use cement?
Will a soup can forge provide adequate heat to make a hammer head into an axe head and files into knife blades?
My proposed heat source will firstly be a propane torch? Will this provide enough heat or should I aim to use a better burner?

Any other suggestions welcome as I want to get building on this at the weekend.

Cheers

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The lining will need to take the heat, so cement likely won't do it (to be honest without some serious additives I have my doubts about plaster too!). Proper ceramic fibre liner isn't expensive and it definately works! I get most of my refractory materials from Castree Kilns, but ebay has some for £17 per meter and that is way more than one soup can worth! Or you could just buy a bunch of soft refractory bricks and pile them up.

As to whether the torch will get a hammer head to temperature, well that depends on what sort of tip you have on your torch ;) If its a big one, then maybe.

Check out the One Brick Forge for a simple gas forge set up. It will do small knives but not axes. Without buying at least a decent burner (or building one) and then investing in proper refractory, then a cobbled together gas forge is most likely nt going to work for anything bigger than medium sized blades. A charcoal forge is muc easier to knock up out of bugger all with no money outlay if you want to forge bigger stuff

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Cheers Dave, very much appreciate your informed input. I will have a look into the one brick forge idea and see how that sits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE