Sos fabric dyeing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Ok I thought I'd have ago at dying some of my tan pouches and see if I could get them to as near as possible to match my khaki bag. Well after reading several postings and YouTube videos I brought Rit dark green dye. Someone said it makes tan webbing khaki colour. Well I dyed 3 items in washing machine and here's the result.

One pouch darkened a little and looks ok

The next pouch stayed tan colour apart from the bright green Velcro

And my yoke which was a very light tan in completely green.

So before I waste time or money I thought I would ask here for some helpful advice

Firstly can I redye the yoke and if so any suggestions to what colour dye I should not try. Will a brown or tan dye work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It depends on what the fabric is made of and whether it has any stain-proof coatings. Polyester doesn't take home dyes at all, and nylon doesn't take it well so you will get a much paler version of the colour if you have nylon or a nylon mixture.

The yoke is probably cotton so it absorbed the dye well. I would go for a brown over dye to tone it down.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd probably go for brownish shades too….but this time buy iDye Poly, and use it after you've made sure that you've washed off any waterproofing from the articles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B001O5NFFM

iDye Poly will dye nylon and polyester successfully at home; with the usual caveat that the colour you achieve will depend on the one you started with.
You can also buy a colour remover that kind of tones down the base colours before you start dyeing.

Best of luck with it :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE