Sorrel Drink

I mentioned this to rawshak at the meet this weekend. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting.

Put 1lb Sorrel, 2 bay leaves, 3 whole cloves, 1 small cinnamon stick and 2lb of sugar in a pan. Pour over enough cold water to cover. Boil for one minute. Leave over night. Strain. Sweeten to taste. Bottle (with one clove) and stand for 4 days. Serve over ice.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I mentioned this to thingy (will edit it later :)) at the meet this weekend. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting.

Put 1lb Sorrel, 2 bay leaves, 3 whole cloves, 1 small cinnamon stick and 2lb of sugar in a pan. Pour over enough cold water to cover. Boil for one minute. Leave over night. Strain. Sweeten to taste. Bottle (with one clove) and stand for 4 days. Serve over ice.

:yikes: PLEASE DON'T DRINK IT IN ONE GO.

Which ever sorrel (wood [3 leaves] or common[arrow leaves]) consuming a 1lb is likely to cause illness if done so in a short period (day or so). Straining it will lower the oxylic acid content, but I read of a lethel case of guy making sorrel soup, where he liquidised over a pound of the leaves and ate it. I really like the taste of sorrel, and should make a lovely drink with spices so the receipe should be really nice, just drink is serious moderation or as a mixer.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I reckon that would be even nicer if fermented for a bit like ginger beer or dandelion and burdock. Maybe fermenting mite brake down the oxylic acid a little? I don't know about that.

Sounds interesting though, mite give it a try.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I'll let rawshak answer that :)

I'm pretty certain that it would be common sorrel (arrow shaped leaves), simply based on the volume of leaves needed. Half a pound would be easy with common sorrel.

I'd also pick the leaves towards the middle/end of March, they'll be big enough to use without going past their best.

H

He' s left the building

recipe sounds about right (missing the Rum though :))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE