Something to aim for...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do find these things fascinating - its interesting that culturally it was seen as a virtue to be self reliant in those days - be that making your children's presents, growing your own food or sewing your own clothes.

Strange how attitudes shift - I meet people now who take a form of pleasure in being incapable of doing the simplest thing for themselves!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Strange how attitudes shift - I meet people now who take a form of pleasure in being incapable of doing the simplest thing for themselves!

When out picking Blackberries from a Hedge, a Mother and Daughter walk past.

Daughter: Mommy, what's she doing?
Mother: Picking Blackberries, don't worry, we get ours in Sainsbury's...

It isn't helped that many people think that to have any self reliance they need a lot of space and a lot of skills. You've seen in other threads how little space I grow a fair bit of stuff in. People don't realise that they can do as much as they can. Stop a person in the street and ask them if they think they can legally pick fruit in a hedgerow, and they will probably say you can't. Explain them the 4F's and watch their brain explode. Ask them how much of a garden they need to grow some fruit of their own, and their brain will explode when you point out you can have an apple tree in a large plant pot (I used to have 2 apple tree's on a small balcony of a 4th floor apartment in Utrecht!)

A friend of mine once planted some dried beans she got from the pasta and pulses aisle of her local supermarket, they grew quite happily, her sister commented "You're allowed to grow those?"

Shame really.

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do find these things fascinating - its interesting that culturally it was seen as a virtue to be self reliant in those days - be that making your children's presents, growing your own food or sewing your own clothes.

Eeeeeeh - I just had to drag the wife in from the garden where she was digging over the beds in readiness for planting - its time she got my dinner on!
It is a good thing she only works 2 days a week now - lots for her to do in the garden...
Me? What have I been doing?
Went for a walk to check on the wild crops, testing some Ventile gear, a bit of Bird watching thrown in for fun - hey - its work OK! ... the nettles will soon be rampant enough to make some more soup, wine and veggie dishes ... going to try nettle Pesto next...
Her indoors does gardening and cooking ... I do wild foods and booze :) and some craft work
The Dandelion wine is under way (2 gallons) last years Birchsap wine is the best yet (just tried some :) ), first batch of nettle soup tried and frozen, willow hoops for the baskets are drying.
DIY and MYO rule here!

I hate spending money! :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Foliage, Fungi, Fruit, Flowers.

On land where you have right of way, i.e. you can reach the tree/bush from the footpath, you have the right to forage for the above if it is growing wild (it has to be wild, a footpath through an orchard doesn't give you the right to every apple you can reach).

Unfortunately, you do not have this right on access land.

J

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It isn't helped that many people think that to have any self reliance they need a lot of space and a lot of skills. You've seen in other threads how little space I grow a fair bit of stuff in. People don't realise that they can do as much as they can.

Shame really.

J

Indeed - there is always an excuse for some though, and others (like you and Mary) who do a lot with a little space. Self reliance is about a state of mind - the sort that chirp "oh I live in a flat" or "I have no money" or "my garden is small" don't get it. HillBill manages to raise all sorts of livestock on his seven allotments, you have an entire orchard in the space of a bathtub and so on. As John says - start from hating spending money and you are halfway there - see Dave's pallet topper instant raised beds. I love stuff like that - you can spot the people who will always feed their family - reminds me of my granddad who managed to raise a pig, 10 chickens and lots of fruit and veg in a garden under 400 square feet!

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Eeeeeeh - I just had to drag the wife in from the garden where she was digging over the beds in readiness for planting - its time she got my dinner on!
It is a good thing she only works 2 days a week now - lots for her to do in the garden...
Me? What have I been doing?
Went for a walk to check on the wild crops, testing some Ventile gear, a bit of Bird watching thrown in for fun - hey - its work OK! ... the nettles will soon be rampant enough to make some more soup, wine and veggie dishes ... going to try nettle Pesto next...
Her indoors does gardening and cooking ... I do wild foods and booze :) and some craft work
The Dandelion wine is under way (2 gallons) last years Birchsap wine is the best yet (just tried some :) ), first batch of nettle soup tried and frozen, willow hoops for the baskets are drying.
DIY and MYO rule here!

I hate spending money! :)

I made some birch sap wine about seven years ago but it didn't turn out too good, so I had to throw it away. The following year I made some elderflower wine with high alcohol yeast. It tasted lovely but boy was it lethal. The missus, daughter and son were all rolling around in the garden nissed as pewts:D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Yep, it's kind of strange that we actually had to give up a lot of growing of vegetables, because NO ONE needs them, FOR FREE.... My mum would grow a plot of potatoes, cabbage, carrots etc. and it would provide food for about 4 families of relatives living in the city. All help needed was about 3-4 days work when planting, sometimes weed picking and then harvesting. She did all the rest by herself on her own time. But the city people started to be too busy, to help her and now I'm banning her to grow more than our family need, because all the food rots in the cellar....... WHATTTTT?????? :D :D And even those on government support don't take food because it's easier to buy it from the shop washed...... Where it all gone wrong I don't know, but I'd always find 4 days a year to get all the vegetables i need for winter. And then, the same people turn around saying that government sucks, because wages are low and it is expensive in the shop... WHAAAATTTTTT????? Get of that fricking TV for once and move your bottom... OK, I'm done :D

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And yet, if you google America and banned vegetable gardens you will find all sorts of bans and threats to stop Americans growing their own vegetables particularly in their front gardens although self-reliance was supposed to be the mark of the nation, sad.

skog

Forager
Aug 9, 2011
wicken
When out picking Blackberries from a Hedge, a Mother and Daughter walk past.

Daughter: Mommy, what's she doing?
Mother: Picking Blackberries, don't worry, we get ours in Sainsbury's...

It isn't helped that many people think that to have any self reliance they need a lot of space and a lot of skills. You've seen in other threads how little space I grow a fair bit of stuff in. People don't realise that they can do as much as they can. Stop a person in the street and ask them if they think they can legally pick fruit in a hedgerow, and they will probably say you can't. Explain them the 4F's and watch their brain explode. Ask them how much of a garden they need to grow some fruit of their own, and their brain will explode when you point out you can have an apple tree in a large plant pot (I used to have 2 apple tree's on a small balcony of a 4th floor apartment in Utrecht!)

A friend of mine once planted some dried beans she got from the pasta and pulses aisle of her local supermarket, they grew quite happily, her sister commented "You're allowed to grow those?"

Shame really.

J

Sorry mate but would you be so kind. Whst are the 4f's.

Gen question

Thanks in advance

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And yet, if you google America and banned vegetable gardens you will find all sorts of bans and threats to stop Americans growing their own vegetables particularly in their front gardens although self-reliance was supposed to be the mark of the nation, sad.

Not necessarily "bans" in the truest sense; usually restrictions by zoning (the equivalent of your council permission) or housing association covenants. But that's just semantics TBH as they have the same effect as a ban.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE