Some woodwork from me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
This week I fancied a change from leatherwork, so decided to knock out a few projects I have had in the back of my mind for a while :)

The first is an axe restoration project. I was given an Elwell felling axe by Jimbo some time ago and it has been gathering dust ever since! I will do a full walk-through thread with plenty of details when it is finished, but for now all you get is a sneak peak at the new handle I made for it. The only wood I had large enough was an old dusty plank, after further inspection I think it is teak. It has come out a lovely red hue after sanding and oiling. No idea if it's good haft material, but it is a beauty to work.

IMAG1135 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

IMAG1199 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

That's all for now, more on the axe project later ;)

The second project is a wee knife. It's a brusletto carbon steel blade I handled with Teak and leather. This is definitely teak I reckon, it has a real beautiful grain to it. I knocked up the scandi style sheath today for it too. It is certainly not perfect, but I'm chuffed with my personal progress with knife handling.

IMAG1185 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

IMAG1196 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

IMAG1191 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

IMAG1183 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

I must say this week has been the first time I have managed to persevere with woodworking without breaking something over my knee. I have learning a little more patience for the skill, taking my time with the right tools for a change. I'm looking forward to getting the axe project finished when I have some time. I also made myself a canvas and leather pack I still have to finish, more on that later too ;)

P.S the knife is up for grabs for free on my facebook page as a give away. (mods feel free to remove this if it's inappropriate)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lovely work there, that's a very nice shape on the axe handle; the knife handle works really well, suits the blade nicely and the sheath too :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great looking knife there Hamish. The Teak axe helve looks lovely, though like yourself I have no idea how it will hold up against the traditional Ash or Hickory, at a guess I would say it will be fine.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Teak must be the poshest axe handle ever. Its a very weatherproof wood - great for boat use - I can't see any reason why it wouldn't make a fine handle

Lovely carving of it regardless

Dreadhead

Great looking knife there Hamish. The Teak axe helve looks lovely, though like yourself I have no idea how it will hold up against the traditional Ash or Hickory, at a guess I would say it will be fine.

thanks mate :)

Teak must be the poshest axe handle ever. Its a very weatherproof wood - great for boat use - I can't see any reason why it wouldn't make a fine handle

Lovely carving of it regardless

Ooo suits me Sir! ;) Looking forward to seeing how it holds up. It has had several coats of linseed oil and then waxed so should be well protected

Cracking job :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm beginning to think that there's nowt that you can't do beautifully Hamish. That axe handle looks so flowing, like the leg on a fine racehorse. You'd have been a great asset in a village in a small town or village, a real asset to a community (like you are here! :D)

Stunning stuff, I'm sure the knife will fly for sale.

Great to see yet another string to your bow.

ATB,
GB.

Dreadhead

I'm beginning to think that there's nowt that you can't do beautifully Hamish. That axe handle looks so flowing, like the leg on a fine racehorse. You'd have been a great asset in a village in a small town or village, a real asset to a community (like you are here! :D)

Stunning stuff, I'm sure the knife will fly for sale.

Great to see yet another string to your bow.

ATB,
GB.

Thanks Colin :) I'm giving the knife away in a comp over on my facebook page in my link, anyone is free to enter to win :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks Colin :) I'm giving the knife away in a comp over on my facebook page in my link, anyone is free to enter to win :)
Wow Hamish, you are a very generous man giving away a beauty like that. Have entered under my FB alter ego (You'll know by my avatar!)
Hope the comp goes well and spreads your name a bit further, it certainly deserves it.
Cheers,
GB.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb stuff Hamish, nice lines and curves.
wouldnt mind that holding one of my heads ^^
and lovely wee knife, jet again oozing with character and style

yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE