Some questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hi everyone, ive been viewing this forum for a few month now and ive learnt soo much! Thanks for all your great posts! :You_Rock_

Im quite new to commenting on posts and adding threads etc, but ive got a couple of questions myself I wouldnt mind answering please.

But a bit about me first; I am thoroughly interested in bushcraft, i had been teaching myself it until i went on the Woodlander at Woodsmoke, which was great!.
My biggest passion is in plants, i love learning about their medicinal uses, if they're edible (or not) etcetc. And i am only building on what i know, with a big help from all you great people on this forum :thanks:

So, my questions...

Ive just got my brand spanking new GB small forest axe today, and im reluctant to use it with all this talk of oiling and treating the axe etc. But what should i acctually do to it before/during use? (for example we've all seen Mearsy oiling his axes' handle with linseed oil)

Next, as i walked into my street today i seen that 2 tree surgeons had felled a large Swedish Whitebeam and i couldnt help but ask if i could have some of the cuttings...

Got any ideas what i could carve out of these logs??

we got talking and i asked why the tree had been felled. And he said that it ''had a disease; a fungus'', which was causing the inside of the tree to turn brown and so becomes softer (as shown in the pics).

Im concerned that this fungus may make the wood unsuitable to carve spoons/bowls/butter knives from (basically things im going to eat food from/with).
Whats your thoughts?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, and I respect all your thoughts. :)
Thanks alot!
Dan

p.s. realy hope these photos show up, ive had a bit trouble getting them onto the forum.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Before use - check the head is tight, the woodwork sound and make sure it is sharp!
During use - make sure you keep the sharp bits out of your skin!

After use - wipe off any dirt, make sure it is sharp (sharpen out any dings - there are many good threads on sharpening an axe..just use the search function) give the metal a wipe with metal oil, such as 3-in-1 or even WD40 (at a pinch...) wipe the wood with a wood oil such as boiled linseed or teak oil, wipe the leather mask with a leather oil or wax (even boot polish) store in a cool moderately dry place (under the bed, or shed or garage or even over your inglenook beam) where it is not too awkward to get at it to fondle and lust over...
Practice using the axe safely until it becomes an extension of your arm.
Stay alert when using the axe - they are trained to bite novices and anyone not concentrating...
Enjoy!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Some of the wood may be discoloured, but may be sound enough for carving projects. Split the logs open to test which bits are soundest (tap it or try carving a little with a knife, any too soft bits will be obvious). Once your project has been carved and allowed to dry out you should have no problems. A combination of different coloured woods can be very attractive in bowls and knife handles in particular.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE