some pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Don't hold back there squidders say what you mean mate.

I am in agrement with you although hate is a strong word, I just don't like it as much as everyone says I should.

I'm getting my first bark river soon so I will make a proper decision when I've seen one of their knives in the flesh.

Bill

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys,

I have something Hoodoo doesn't! :nana:

Martyn, i think it may have something to do with the placement of your NS, let me show you...(your gonna be impressed with my photo skills if i pull this one off!)

BRB!

Jake

leon-1

Martyn said:
Well, either I got big paws, or you got small uns (perhaps a bit of both?), but the difference is obvious. ;)

Yes it is, Jakes haven't seen a hard days work yet :lol:, but having said that my hands are not much larger than Jakes and I have the Fox River and still think the handle is a little short.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
my.php
Does this work?

Well, i had a point to prove, but it turned out i was wrong anyways. i thought that it just looked small due to th position of the NS on your hand, but i moved it and it's still to small for you...

J

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:slap: :roll: :wink:

*jake deleted that comment as he thought it was pretentious and snobby*

leon-1

Andy said:
thinker, not longer. Maybe that would suit me. (the NS was long enough but not wide enough

As Andy has said, the handle is wider and fills the hand better due to the tang not being tapered. I preferred this idea due to my palm being quite long (it is approximatley 1 cm longer than the longest of my fingers). :)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just noticed my palm was quite long too. I dont get why the Fox river is "not as suited" to bushcraft than the NS...in general...

Leon, do you do more skinning with it?

leon-1

Jake Rollnick said:
I just noticed my palm was quite long too. I dont get why the Fox river is "not as suited" to bushcraft than the NS...in general...

Leon, do you do more skinning with it?

The fox river is really designed as a drop point hunters knife, but to be honest most of the bushcrafters of old were hunters and thier knives had to be able to handle most things.

So far I haven't been able to get out and about and really test it (I moved just before Christmas and then had my whole holiday ruined by suffering illness).

It is on a list of things to do, along with look at the performance of the Field Trek, the Ingram #6 and a Scandi Pack Pal since they have all turned up in the last few months.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh, ok. Im guessing it would slice just as well as the NS, so then it just depends on what your looking for...:biggthump

leon-1

Jake Rollnick said:
Oh, ok. Im guessing it would slice just as well as the NS, so then it just depends on what your looking for...:biggthump

From what I have seen the blade length is the same and there is not a massive difference in its profile, so in a lot of ways it should perform in almost exactly the same way as a NS. :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi guys i got them both the north star and fox river and find the fox feels better in my big paws i rounded the points off the butt to make it feel better but when they are put together side by side i find they will both cut aswell as each other for the tasks i put them to but i think they could both do with being a little longer in the handle :wave:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers,

Wasn't the Fox R made for skinning due to it's deeper belly? (i don't know why this would be as i don't hunt!)

:biggthump

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
yes. It also has a bit bigger choil IIRC

You want lots of belly with a skinning knife as your doing long slices but you don't want an overly long blade. A blade thats too long would get in the way. It also means that the point is out of the way so your less likey to pierce the skin with the point.

PS I don't hunt either

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think there's a bit of a myth about what constitutes a good skinner. If you are skinning a deer, what you need most of all is a good caping knife. Something with a good sharp point to slice along the legs and around the neck. Most of the hide is PULLED off, with only very light touches with a knife. You see these big ol' skinners which might be great for buffalo, moose, elk, cows, etc., but whenever possible, the hide should be pulled off (or pounded such as when you use a flay pol on an axe) to prevent damage to the hide. If you are cleaning woodchuck sized animals or smaller, obviously you don't need a big skinner either.

I have a great great video of a professional butcher skinning a deer using only a 6" boning knife like the one in the pic below. A light touch with the tip is all he needed to "skin" with.

venisonprocessing1b.jpg

If you want to harvest the sinew, a really thin blade is handy for removing sheets of sinew and a fine, thin point is handy for dissecting the long leg sinews. Good reason to carry a good pocket knife. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE