Some outdoors Crumpet (picture heavy)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I decided to make some crumpets today and I thought you might be interested in a sort of mini tutorial.

Here is my setup

crumpets01.jpg

So I started by putting on the kelly kettle for some hot water.

crumpets02.jpg

I put two spoons of milk powder and a little honey in my mug and half filled with hot water mean while I got some charcoals on the go in the fire bowl of the kettle.

When it was blood heat I added half a teaspoon of dried yeast and left to froth.

Then mixed enough plain flour to make a thick batter and left it to prove and add a good pinch of salt.

crumpets04.jpg

Right the bakestone is ready, you are after a low to moderate heat and lightly greased.

crumpets03.jpg

So I make some rings out of heavy foil.

crumpets05.jpg

and after I had knocked the batter back to take the air out I part filled the rings.

crumpets06.jpg

What you are looking for are bubble forming on the top and it drying. These are close but not quite there.

crumpets07.jpg

Right I got a bit impatient and took the rings off a bit to soon and lost some around the edge I really should get some proper crumpet rings.

Right when they are dry to the touch flip them over to finish off the top.

crumpets08.jpg

I thought that one was a bit pale so I re did the bottoms a bit more.

crumpets09.jpg

Right back over.

crumpets10.jpg

All the was left to do was smother in butter and cloudberry jam.

crumpets11.jpg

O and eat :D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great tutorial cheers. Another flour based product to add to the list.
I love crumpets but stopped buying them cause of all rubbish in them. I can start making them now. :)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I my favorite breakfast is hot steamy crumpet, with honey and butter. I always thought making them would to be fiddly so thanks for the thread.

I know what you mean I was amazed how simple and quick they are to make when I found the recipe. They must be one of the quickest yeast 'breads' you can make and its almost worth carrying the bakestone alone.

Regarding the bakestone mine is not that heavy as it is not cast iron as you might have thought but is instead cast Aluminium.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
What exactly is a bakestone? I've never heard of them before. Also, is it possible to make them without using one? I'd love to try that on my next camping trip.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thanks for this informative, entertaining and appetizing tutorial (even though I had juvenile hopes for 'spicy' content!).

I reckon this will work well with the Outback Oven.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
What exactly is a bakestone? I've never heard of them before. Also, is it possible to make them without using one? I'd love to try that on my next camping trip.

Hi Tye,

I bakestone is another name for a griddle or heavy skillet with little or no lip. It's traditionally used for 'baking' drop scones, welsh cakes, oatcakes etc. You can use any heavy frying pan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE