Some of my leathercraft items

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi all

Some examples of what I have made in my first steps down the road of being a leathercraft artisan :D

Leather Belt: Hand stitched with 18/6 waxed linen, 3.5mm veg tan hide, brass buckle, burnished/edge coted sides. Dyed brown and finished with carnauba wax and no inside dying to avoid stains on clothes.

Shows buckle

P2211431-1.jpg

Shows stitching

P2211436-1.jpg

Leather Saw Sheath: Wet formed 2.5mm veg tan hide hand stitched with 18/6 waxed linen dyed brown and finished with carnauba wax. Made to fit an Aldi folding saw but fits Bahco Laplanders

Front

P2211437-1.jpg

Back
P2211438-1.jpg

Any comments welcome :)

Cheers
Craeg

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
That's a good start. I'm at a similar stage with belts, but about to move onto trying sheath making.

I've had a lot of dilemma about whether or not to dye the inside of a belt. For the look, I think it helps, so I've dyed and treated the insides, but not dying would save a lot of hassle on the face of a belt that nobody really ever sees.

It's interesting how many people seem to be starting in leatherworking at the moment. Something in the air? I got some basic tools over a year ago but never really did anything until my wife said I needed a new belt, and I decided to make one. But that was before the rash of postings (myself included) that have appeared over the past few months.

Geoff

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Cheers Guys

Geoff, I think that as you dont see the inside of the belt it is better not to have it dyed for the staining reason. It also differentiates it from a machine made, mass produced belt and the people I have made them for also mentioned and like that unique feature.

Alecf, any kind of oil would transfer onto clothing I think.
I have just seen on RM website that his belts also do not have the inside dyed.

Next project will be a small shoulder bag for my daughter I think. Box stitched or wet formed? What do you think :D

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looking good mate - and if it's good enough for Uncle Ray....... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE