Some of my last pattern welded knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Yep! nice them. You always seem too make really nice bespoke blades a true artist .why give it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im sorry, I just like the plain laminated like a layer cake. Im fussy.

They are gret knives and you shouldnt give up. Maybe make some with a layer of copper or brass in?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Im sorry, I just like the plain laminated like a layer cake. Im fussy.

They are gret knives and you shouldnt give up. Maybe make some with a layer of copper or brass in?

Until you know what you are talking about, can I respectfully ask you to step away from the keyboard. I don't claim to know faux damacus from a hole in the ground, but even I can see a lot of love and effort put into making these creations. To call them just "knives" seems wrong.

So if you can't type anything but negativity at some of the best knives on here, then I will eagerly await seeing what you could make to top them. Perhaps include layers of leather, wool and stone, just for a bit of variety. :confused:

Fieldcrafter-UK :You_Rock_

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Until you know what you are talking about, can I respectfully ask you to step away from the keyboard. I don't claim to know faux damacus from a hole in the ground, but even I can see a lot of love and effort put into making these creations. To call them just "knives" seems wrong.

So if you can't type anything but negativity at some of the best knives on here, then I will eagerly await seeing what you could make to top them. Perhaps include layers of leather, wool and stone, just for a bit of variety. :confused:

Fieldcrafter-UK :You_Rock_

Thank you for beating me to the keyboard Biker :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Stunning work....why on earth are you stopping making knives? Your work just gets better and better!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
How long did that 'cutting with the knife grinder' stage take you? Looks to be a heck of a lot of work.

Really like the blade shape in the first one. Seeing stuff like this makes me wish I was wealthy, so I could afford to buy from (and support) craftsmen like yourself.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Had a chance to look at the pictures the other day, lovely work. I have a wee pattern blade and I find myself getting lost in the swirly Paisley pattern lovelyness of it.
It's a real shame you're thinking about making these your last as you do lovely things. Wish I could aford one to try and help you change your mind but cash strapped these days.
Hope sales get better and that we get a chance to see more of your work in the future.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
How long did that 'cutting with the knife grinder' stage take you? Looks to be a heck of a lot of work.

Really like the blade shape in the first one. Seeing stuff like this makes me wish I was wealthy, so I could afford to buy from (and support) craftsmen like yourself.

I think it was 4 or 5 hours to grind in the pattern , it took 4x 40 grit ceramic belts to do it , £5 each ...

Without labour cost, on each knife they cost me something like £170 to make each ..

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mind-blowing stuff. I didn't know so much work went into the process of pattern welding... I do now!

The knives are works of art... particularly like the brass work.

You're a true craftsman.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Wow mate that looks absolutely stunning, very well made my dear sir!
can only imagine the hardship of losing your blades to the fire after having put in so much work to make them as beautiful as they are.
Stunning pieces and sheesh the amount of money you need to make em is more then I would have figured.
Still am hoping to make one one day, it might be because of the graphical marvels that you showed for me to not be put off ^^

Yours sincerely
Ruud

Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thanks again guys , as nice as they may be , there is almost no market for them .
If I was American maybe that would be different ?
I've reached a stalemate as allways , cost me all I had to make the steel and 4 blanks ,finished two knives and run out of everything needed to Finnish them all off . I have thought this for a few years now , pattern welding steel is waisted on knives , they aren't socially acceptable things for people to invest in , well not in the UK anyway .
The man that takes any skill he has at making the stuff and applies it to a non knife product will see success I think .
That and maybe the horrible stuff that sells so cheaply from India , I struggle to accept that about Indian steel , to me the quality is so poor you can see it a mile away .

Not to worry , this sort of head scratching is almost over for me ha ha

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
The amount skill, time, graft, and thought put into these is incredible, you have a gift, be a shame to see you stop making.
With the sheer quantity of wasted steel in the grinding process, the leccy/propane, belts and loss of finger prints these are labour intensive and expensive to make, a bargain at that money http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133204&p=1662384#post1662384

Can I ask how these pattern welded blades differ in use/sharpening to ordinary carbon tool steel? How hard are they rated?

Maybe consider making a range of kitchen chefs knifes? That market must be more buoyant? Perhaps consider developing the brand logo, looking at Stuart Mitchell's stuff is a good example of 'just enough' in this regard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE