some Oblique fingerweaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
My wife has spent the last few years researching and learning a few different methods of finger weaving. Here is a few examples of Oblique finger weaving. This is another pre european craft which was initially done using plant fibres or bison wool.
First piece is a hair garter this would be tied around the mans top knot purely as a means of decoration. This piece was inspired by an original piece in the Aberdeen Museum. The beads are not sewn on but woven into the work.

Second up is a fingerwoven slit pouch. The slitpouch is designed to be warn over a sash or powderhorn. Although many examples are in braintan then either pigment painted or quilled some were fingerwoven. As with the previous piece my wife has woven the beads into the work.
. once the pouch is weighted the slit closes so nothing can escape.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lovely work, an interesting old craft; I'm going to do a bit of research on this in the next day or two.............Nice post!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE