Some knives I made recently

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I haven't had much time in the past few weeks to make "things" but I have recently finished these two little knives:

One is 7 1/4" long, with a 3 1/4" cutting edge, made of 3/32" tool steel. I used Dymonwood for the scales, I don't think I'd use it again personally. I think you can't beat real wood for handles!

The smaller one has Bog Oak handle scales....I'll call it the Boggart....Bog art...:rolleyes: 6 1/2" long with a 2 1/2" cutting edge, again with a 3/32" thick blade.

DSCF5405.jpg

DSCF5406.jpg

DSCF5407.jpg

I also finished this variation on the Nessmuk style. The blade is 3/32" tool steel, with a 4" blade and 4" handle. It has a low convex grind. The handle scales are antiqued, slightly aged Teak.

DSCF5412.jpg

DSCF5413.jpg

I haven't got pics for the sheath I made for it, unfortunately, due to camera problem but it's in this pancake style:

pancake-knife-sheath-e1309399501737.jpg

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Did you make the blades too? How do you get such a nice finish? Ive seen a few handmade wooden items on here. And i cant get my head around how they grain comes out so beautifully.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks. The steel is easy to get hold off, Googling for "ground flat stock" will bring up a fair amount. I have indeed made all the blades for those knives. I use an angle grinder and a belt sander with various grade of belts, that and practice. Some skills and lots of sanding! Same applies to the wood:lots of sanding...:( I'm not keen on sanding, some dusts get to me nowadays. I used mild steel fot the pins on the Nessie: cheap tent pegs come in 4mm diameter and are quite soft, ideal for peening, and plenty strong enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE