Some canvas project ideas.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dismantled my largest old tent yesterday, and now have a mountain of canvas, a bag of tent bits and a tarp.

I have been thinking on ideas to use the canvas and so far have come up with;

longbow bag
arrow bag (my archer friend wants some)
kelly kettle sack.
millbanks bag (but Im unsure if the canvas is treated. the stuff from the inner layer should be ok, and I already have a millbanks bag. (thanks for telling me what it is!) so I know its dyed.)
Pillowcase. (for holding clothes like I used earlier)
folding wash basin. (a more ambitious project.)

Any more ideas??

if anyone wants any cloth, or me to make something, feel free to PM me

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
How about a canvas backpack. Or foraging sacks, just small open-ended drawstring bags, say,14"x10" that you can fold up and stuff in a pocket when you go out and about to hold any goodies you find. Also makes an excellent pillow.
If you've any small scraps make tinder pouches, like a tobacco pouch. Maybe waterproof it with boiled linseed oil.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I made a bag from an old pair of jeans legs for my Trangia to keep it from getting full of grit and rubbish. It is still in use 16 years down the way. I would have loved some canvas specially the tent stuff as it is usually very nice and soft. Food for thought?
Swyn.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Theres a whole load of things I could do.

I want to do something more interesting than ditty bags, but within my skills.

Im going to make a little bag for my folding BBQ. (I laid my hands upon a couple more folding BBQs which Im going to give as xmas stocking fillers. Like as not Ill supply bags for them as the packaging they come ins none too reusable.)

Ive got a few ditty bags and a Millbanks bag

Ive got two hammocks.

Whats a nessmuck bag like??

Id like to make a duluth pack style bedroll, but thats a plan for the future..and I have plenty of cloth left over.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<sigh>

But Ive already got a canvas rucksack Im trying to get rid of....

Ill make a few of those items I put on my list and see whats left over.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Snufkin said:
This 12345678910

Now those are some expensive daysacks - you should be able to make a mint on the makers forum Tengu if you got your sewing machine going!

How about a bucket, shower, washing up bowl or tool roll (for your spoon knife, sharpening stone Etc.)? How big was the tent - big enough for tipi?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
but I already have Three kayaks. (all canvas covered freebies)

and I dont need a coracle.

and I dont have enough canvas to make a curragh.

ill stick to my bags...see how much is left when I have made a few

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE