Solo tent backpacking: Snugpak Journey solo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Just interested to see what owners think of their Journey solo.

Seem to be a gazillion micro, single ,bikepack, backpack dodads out there.

Dont mind spending the money on decent kit and weight isnt absolutely critical.

In fact i'd rather have build quality that will take good bit of use and last, over mega bucks ultra light weight as ill probably break it anyway.

Thanks

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi, I'm not going to be that helpful because I don't have the Journey Solo, but....
I recently bought the Snugpak Ionosphere and am looking forward to using it when we come out of lockdown. The Ionosphere is identical in design but clearly differs in the materials used as it's 500g lighter and olive green. I'd encourage you to consider the Ionosphere for the 25% weight saving and stealthy colour.

I did a ton of research on the Ionosphere before I pulled the trigger and was really impressed at how overwhelmingly positive the online reviews/videos and interactions that I had with users on various facebook groups. There's clearly a lot of love out there for this tent.

The crucial thing to consider with the Journey Solo/Ionosphere is that it's more of a posh hooped bivi than a tent and that's predominantly what appealed to me. You have plenty of room inside for you and your kit (it's actually pretty spacious in that respect) but don't expect to have room to sit up in it as it's only 70cm high. When I eventually get out with mine, I shall be using it for woodland camping in conjunction with a poncho tarp to create a covered admin space by the door.

Of course the good thing about the tent being so low is that it can cope with the wind, it also benefits from 14 pegging out points so you can really anchor it down in bad weather, it's also got a reputation as being a solid bit of kit - these are all points that are repeated in the reviews.

If you want a tent with more living space then I'd recommend the MSR Elixir 1, you have tons of head room in this and a generous vestibule. I have the Elixir 2 and it's a palace of a tent, I've had it out in 30mph winds and it's been fine, but I wouldn't necessarily want to take it on an exposed mountain camp.

It's a difficult decision to make, but it ultimately boils down to what you want to do with the tent?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I think the inonsphere is actually exactly what im looking for. Thanks for the write up and taking the time to do it, very interesting.

Main use is shelter (protection from wind rain), somewhere to sleep whilst walking a trail. Not so much bushing but maybe wild camping if needed. I fancy doing some mileage and a multiday hike.

As an example, Been looking at Peddars way for a long time, Ive done a small portion of it,

Im use to sheltering under a basha in a A frame style in most weathers and I have got a Dutch Hooped bivvy which is good but really not big enough as id like to have a free standing unit with gear storage/porch.

A Mini tent with that kind of protection, build quality, weight, price and compactness is perfect. I will definitley be looking at getting one.

Thanks

Reactions: Barney Rubble

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It is much more expensive, but did you also think about the Hilleberg Akto?

It's obviously much more comfortable to enter.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I think the inonsphere is actually exactly what im looking for. Thanks for the write up and taking the time to do it, very interesting.

Main use is shelter (protection from wind rain), somewhere to sleep whilst walking a trail. Not so much bushing but maybe wild camping if needed. I fancy doing some mileage and a multiday hike.

As an example, Been looking at Peddars way for a long time, Ive done a small portion of it,

Im use to sheltering under a basha in a A frame style in most weathers and I have got a Dutch Hooped bivvy which is good but really not big enough as id like to have a free standing unit with gear storage/porch.

A Mini tent with that kind of protection, build quality, weight, price and compactness is perfect. I will definitley be looking at getting one.

Thanks
No problem, glad I could help. I have similar plans in mind for my Ionosphere and am hopeful that it will serve me well.

Funny you should mention the Dutch hooped bivi. That's my go to shelter option (with a tarp) and has been an excellent bivi bag. I bought the Ionosphere to mix things up a little and have another option should I wish.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Question concerning people choosing tents for the Misty Isles: how important is mosquito, midge and fly "resistant" design. For me here in Finland it comes right after keeping the rain out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE