Solo Cook Set Show and Tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have a brew kit consisting of the WBS and a plastic mug it fits in. A tiny bottle that holds the right amount of meths for two people to have a decent mugful of a brew. All this fits into the plastic mug. I have a small ALpkit Mytimug that it should also fit leaving a tiny brew kit for walks out. Trouble is I also have to carry a wider AGG 3-cup Ally pot (96g with lid) which ruins the sleekness of the kit. I should really try out the Ti mug on the whitebox stove but I reckon it is too narrow and the flames will mostly miss it. Shame really. If something the size and basic construction of the WBS was available with say inward jets for a narrow burn profile and it would make the perfect brew kit. The second person would have to carry their own mug. Unless there is a mug that the myti cup fits into snuggly then it would be complete for a 2 person kit. Think I might have to get something else for the burner but the WBS with cup is such a neat package. It is only the pot / wide burner issue that ruins it. I don't like the idea of carrying a pot and a mug especially since the shape of the pot doesn't fit the rest of the kit well.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
If something the size and basic construction of the WBS was available with say inward jets for a narrow burn profile and it would make the perfect brew kit.
Minibulldesign Mini Atomic has inwardly facig jets. You would just have tomake a small stand for it though as the pot cannot sit on it.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This is a nice kit, had it a good few years now sadly its not used these days :( The frying pan is about 7" across; all pans are aluminium.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
here's mine that i take for a bimble and fishing. Dutch army gas mask bag that i find great as it has a waist strap as well that stops the bag falling forward if i bend over.

Water bottle and SS mug, folding gas burner and cannister, 2 folding cups ( in case i meet someone to share a brew with ) saucepan that will hold 4 sausages, pot for either heating water or cooking in, ( the gas, burner and 2 cups all pack into the pot ) hip flask, take away container with coffee, sugar, spoon, lighter, salt and pepper, KFS set, small tongs, large folder.

There is enough room in the bag to get a couple of baps, a pack of sausages and an onion as well as the brew kit :) happy days :)

brewkit1.jpg

brewkit2.jpg

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
For a day its a choice of:

Nato water bottle, crusader mug and crusader stove
USGI Canteen, cup and stove
MyTiMug
Tatonka mug
Guyot design stainless nalgene

If no open fire then hobo stove, hexi, tatonka meths stove or whitebox stove

If much longer i will use the above with a zebra billy can.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i like the optimus solo cookset with folding titanium spork, got mine from expeditionhardware

Titanium and Sporks are two things I love in life. Sporks are great when you get to my age of nearer sixty than fifty, they allow you to get used to the feel of dribbled food falling on your chin and into your lap. GET A SPOON! Sorry about that, must be having a 'Senior' moment.
'

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have several kits actually.
The Swedish army mess kit with added nato-mug and lid,
DSC04835.jpg

a homemade, nesting billycan/hobostove-set;
DSC05829.jpg

and a BSA kit, like Rik's, but all steel.

DSC05004.jpg

And I must say that from these 3, the BSA is being used the most. Fits me better and, while it's not the lightest of kits, it is bombproof and packs quite small, given that it is a fryingpan, a kettle, a mug and a plate..... I just don't like the Swedish kit that much, mainly because of the fuel I have to carry with it and I do not like the stove to much either. The billy/hobo-kit is light, but is quite bulky, because I have to add a pan or messtin in order to cook food.

I also have an Esbitset, but that resides in the trunk of my car as an emergencycooker... Just hate the stuff!

garethw

Settler
Looking for idea to imporve my current setup. Currently I am using a 12cm billy, honey stove and a metal mug and folding spoon

whats works well for you on a solo setup, what are the little extras you take? ie small frying pan, light my fire grampa folk etc?

Pics of it in use would be great

Thanks in advance.

Update...

This is my current setup.

This looks a pretty good set up and is very close to my own. In fact you've given me and idea or tow...

I do tend to use a Pocket Rocket gas stove if I can't light a fire though. The other addition if I'm not on a sole trip is a Tatonka 1.6L pot to add to the 12cm Zebra and Crusader cup.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE