Solo cook set...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So, This isn't the perfect set but i'm quite happy with it and thought I would share.

I have, over years, been through so many cooking options it's unreal, this is my current one, it's unlikely to be my last but I like it for now.

The kit consists of:

Primus LiTech Trek Kettle (Link)
Primus Clip On Wind Shield (Link)
Evernew 400ml Titanium Cup (Link)
Primus Express Ti Stove with igniter (Link)
Esbit folding titanium spoon (Link)
Esbit folding titanium fork (Link)
100g standard gas canister
Small zip-log bag with cut down sponge and eco washing liquid (not shown)

Everything nests inside the kit and makes a lovely little kit able to cook more than you might think... certainly more than the dehydrated meals in a bag and the odd brew. I made my own burger by packing the beef patty it into the tiny frying pan lid, cooked it up, threw in an egg and with the main pot above the pan like a lid, the egg cooked lovely without splashing or flipping etc... in short, it's very versatile. With the wind shield and being sensible, the 100g gas easily lasts a full weekend of hot drinks and meals and the titanium cup is a really useful size. The fact it all nests easily inside the 1L pot is really nice.

The stove is great, the igniter is really reliable, it simmers and roars, I did have a light my fire scout fire steel and striker in the pot but never needed it. The pot is also great, not too thick but thick enough to distribute heat evenly and with really good non-stick... it's taken some real heat and been fine.

It doesn't have a bail handle but if i'm not using the gas, I just put it at the edge of the fire, it's no bother. The handle silicone/plastic is nice and durable... anyway... a few photos just taken at my computer...

All packed
attachment.php

Showing the contents nested with the wind shield, cup and gas in the pot
attachment.php

All set up
attachment.php

Feb 4, 2014
Lincoln
Nice set-up fella. How much weight does the load-out come to excluding the gas canister? Mine is a very similar set-up (Evernew) but the only major difference is a titanium folding spork.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
How do you get on with the folding cutlery ?

Was thinking of upgrading my plastic sporks for something that wouldn't snap or melt and that would pack easier, but wasn't sure if the folding ones were more gimmicky than practical ?

Cheers, Paul

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My folding spoon had a habit of folding when it shouldn't but a few tweets with some pliers stopped it and now I really like it. Mines the Esbit one too.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you want to save a few quid get the fire maple folding cutlery, cheaper than the esbit but exactly the same.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
I have the primus kettle and think its great - it also fits my bushbuddy stove inside perfectly (which itself fits a backup meths stove, small firelighting kit, folding spork and Swedish folding cup inside).

Two reasons for our never ending search for the 'perfect' cookset are simply that there is so (read too) much choice and as humans we are naturally inquisitive. I'm trying to stay with this setup because it's relatively light and works for me.

Max

So, This isn't the perfect set but i'm quite happy with it and thought I would share.

I have, over years, been through so many cooking options it's unreal, this is my current one, it's unlikely to be my last but I like it for now.

The kit consists of:

Primus LiTech Trek Kettle (Link)
Primus Clip On Wind Shield (Link)
Primus Express Ti Stove with igniter (Link)
Esbit folding titanium spoon (Link)
Esbit folding titanium fork (Link)
100g standard gas canister
Small zip-log bag with cut down sponge and eco washing liquid (not shown)

Everything nests inside the kit and makes a lovely little kit able to cook more than you might think... certainly more than the dehydrated meals in a bag and the odd brew. I made my own burger by packing the beef patty it into the tiny frying pan lid, cooked it up, threw in an egg and with the main pot above the pan like a lid, the egg cooked lovely without splashing or flipping etc... in short, it's very versatile. With the wind shield and being sensible, the 100g gas easily lasts a full weekend of hot drinks and meals and the titanium cup is a really useful size. The fact it all nests easily inside the 1L pot is really nice.

The stove is great, the igniter is really reliable, it simmers and roars, I did have a light my fire scout fire steel and striker in the pot but never needed it. The pot is also great, not too thick but thick enough to distribute heat evenly and with really good non-stick... it's taken some real heat and been fine.

It doesn't have a bail handle but if i'm not using the gas, I just put it at the edge of the fire, it's no bother. The handle silicone/plastic is nice and durable... anyway... a few photos just taken at my computer...

All packed
attachment.php

Showing the contents nested with the wind shield, cup and gas in the pot
attachment.php

All set up
attachment.php

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
How do you get on with the folding cutlery ?

Was thinking of upgrading my plastic sporks for something that wouldn't snap or melt and that would pack easier, but wasn't sure if the folding ones were more gimmicky than practical ?

Cheers, Paul

I like 'em... They sometimes fold when you aren't expecting but bend the sides a tiny bit and they're nice... I like having a proper spoon and fork rather than a spork.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

I don't suppose you could do me a small favour Squidders could you?

Could you please measure the internal diameter of that cup? I want to see if it will fit on top of my Svea 123R stove as I don't have the aluminium one that comes as standard and that costs about the same,

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't suppose you could do me a small favour Squidders could you?

Could you please measure the internal diameter of that cup? I want to see if it will fit on top of my Svea 123R stove as I don't have the aluminium one that comes as standard and that costs about the same,

Internal Dia is 9cm mate.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I like 'em... They sometimes fold when you aren't expecting but bend the sides a tiny bit and they're nice... I like having a proper spoon and fork rather than a spork.

Thanks for that, you've convinced me that I need to get them, or the fire maple versions ozzy mentioned if I can find them :)

Cheers, Paul

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Looks like a nice set up. I've quite often looked at those clip on windshields but never bit the bullet and bought one. How stable is it once set up? I've resorted to canister stands now after a few accidents.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a canister stand, it's a black plastic one but I didn't use it for a while and was fine so just stopped.

It is far more stable with the legs but the cook set isn't very wide and does not overhang the stove/canister much so stability is ok... i'm also just careful when cooking.

The windshield is good because it not only protects the stove from wind but protects a lot of the canister from heat. it fits perfectly inside the trek kettle with no wasted space.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks for that, you've convinced me that I need to get them, or the fire maple versions ozzy mentioned if I can find them :)

Cheers, Paul

Just ordered me a Fire Maple folding titanium spork, only £8 including delivery from Ultralight :) Will see how it goes and decide later if a separate fork or spoon would be useful too.

Cheers, Paul

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I have a canister stand, it's a black plastic one but I didn't use it for a while and was fine so just stopped.

It is far more stable with the legs but the cook set isn't very wide and does not overhang the stove/canister much so stability is ok... i'm also just careful when cooking.

The windshield is good because it not only protects the stove from wind but protects a lot of the canister from heat. it fits perfectly inside the trek kettle with no wasted space.

I found it was the height that made it unstable rather than the width. The width makes it easier to 'accidentally' knock. Yeah I'm as careful as most but accidents do happen. I couldn't fit the stand in my cook set though which was a little annoying.

As for the windshield I have just purchased one. Thanks for the info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE